What's new
What's new

Power Wave 450

Tin Lynn

Aluminum
I did a quick search on PM but nothing turned up so I'll throw this out.
100_2145.jpg

I know that this welder was made for production. If I can make it work, it would be a nice addition to my shop.

Has anyone used one of these welders outside of a production environment.

Thanks

Lynn

I have the wire feeder and a 450 amp Toughgun also.

Last edited:
Ahh... The PW450. I would avoid that machine like the plague. They suffered from reliability issues. You should see the size of the repair manual!

I believe it is three phase only. Cant remember for certain. Might run on single phase at lower output.

The price was in my comfort zone. FREE. Sometimes free isn't cheap. I have a different overlay on order thats not free or cheap.

I'm going to spend a little time and money to see if it will work long enough to play with.

Thank you

Lynn

There are more overlays for it stored in the top of the machine. The top bezel pulls out to reveal a storage spot. Look closely.

Overlays

All the overlays in the machine are for the same program. The only one different is for setting up for water cooling. The one that I ordered allows you to set up for pulse, gmaw, fcaw, stick and tig.

Lynn

Got a schematic?

Hi Lynn-

If you've got a schematic, scan and Email it to me, and I'll look it over. I don't know the machine, but I can tell you based on the schem, what things to be most concerned over... and of course, if it can be used on single-phase, I'll give you my two cents' worth on what it'd like the best.

No schematic

I'll see what it does with the new overlay. I am running it on 3 phase.

Thanks for the offer.

Lynn

Setup overlay

I used the setup overlay to change the voltage and wire speed. I then had to change back to the memory overlay that came with the machine to run the program.

With the #1(setup) overlay in place you have to reprogram every time you power up.

Now I need a welding project to try it on.

Thanks

Lynn

hi there,
im having a lincoln power wave 450 (pw 450) which is not working properly. suddenly it stop welding, then i cant control power (too much or too little).
Its pity. it was a good machine.

ze

Attachments

• 2012-04-07a.jpg
    2012-04-07a.jpg
    64 KB · Views: 1,045
  • 2012-04-07b.jpg
    2012-04-07b.jpg
    44.1 KB · Views: 1,096
Hi Lynn,

I just got a PW450, and I know it's 9 years later, but could you tell me where you got the overlay that made you able to use the machine?

Thanks,

Barry

Lincoln Power Wave 450 question

Hi Lynn,

I know this is 9 years after the fact, but if you could advise me I will be very grateful. I have a PW450, and lincoln tech tells me I can't use it without the Robotic setup. They also say, I have to have the Synergic 7 wire feeder to be able to Mig weld with it. I think that it will work with using the setup up overlay. It looks like you have done so yourself.

Thanks,

Barry

Hi, Barry..? I have an issue, so I hope you or another one could help me. I have just find two lincoln power wave 450 welders in my dad's shop, they need the synergic 7h module for mig process, but I was thinking if the welders could work for smaw process only, without the module. Can the positive and negative outputs work for directly connect the smaw cables?

I would appreciate your help.
Arthur.

Back