What's new
What's new

Is this press brake joke or not??

Are you looking for 6 inch width or 6 foot?
If 6 inch you would be better off looking at an Ironworker with braking capabilities. That way you could brake, shear and punch with the same machine.

Are you looking for 6 inch width or 6 foot?
If 6 inch you would be better off looking at an Ironworker with braking capabilities. That way you could brake, shear and punch with the same machine.

Thanks, but the only problem with the press brake (like an edwards ironworker which I really like) is I need to bend U shape. The material is 6" width 1/4" thick. The distance between the two bends needs to be between 1.5" to 3.0" I know the closer the distance between the two bends is more difficult.

The think about the 6 foot machine is sometimes I get 1/8" material 48" long and need to bend 15 degrees or so.

So is this machine worth looking into?

Here is my 30 year old Scotchman 50 ton and pic of brake that I made to use on it. It will bend 1/4" X 12" or 1/2" X 6" easily. You might be able to get a brake to handle your needs on one of these machines. The "legs" when you are bending can be longer and closer with offset dies.
I don't know anything about the machine you are looking at but it will be a one purpose machine and tooling will add to your cost. Looks HD enough for what you want.
Maybe Ries will comment, he knows a lot about different fabrication machines.

Attachments

• Scotchman 1.jpg
    Scotchman 1.jpg
    68.5 KB · Views: 1,453
  • Scotchman 2.jpg
    Scotchman 2.jpg
    73.4 KB · Views: 1,534
http://www.steelfab123.com/50Ton Hydraulic Press Brake.asp

Was looking at a press brake for around 10k that I could have at the house.

Would like to do plates around 1/4" 6" width.

Is this press brake worth the time?

It clearly says "10 gauge capability", which is .135" thick. While in theory 50 ton is enough to bend a 6", 1/4" thick section, do they sell punch/die combos for that machine that will do that without shattering? You may be able to get Wilson Tool or someone like that to make you a custom punch and die....but you would be looking at several thousand dollars per foot for it.

You are also looking to do incredibly tight double bends. not much problem with a small center to center as long as the legs aren't that tall. For small centers and long legs you need to look at a folding machine not a brake.

the original question?

I too have looked at this press brake - factory is only a few hours from me. I have not heard any feedback on this company or their machines? They also make shears, benders, etc. Would love to hear from anyone with experience on how they work/don't.

It clearly says "10 gauge capability", which is .135" thick.

The standard practice is to rate a press brake on max thickness of a full length piece of stock. That doesn't mean you can't bend heavier stock in shorter lengths.

While in theory 50 ton is enough to bend a 6", 1/4" thick section, do they sell punch/die combos for that machine that will do that without shattering? You may be able to get Wilson Tool or someone like that to make you a custom punch and die....but you would be looking at several thousand dollars per foot for it.

All you need for bending 1/4" plate is a die with a 2" V opening. No danger of a standard die shattering and they certainly don't sell for thousands of bucks per foot.

You are also looking to do incredibly tight double bends. not much problem with a small center to center as long as the legs aren't that tall. For small centers and long legs you need to look at a folding machine not a brake.

If the legs are close, or fairly deep, you'd need a gooseneck punch. They're available in various sizes, and its fairly easy to look at the cross section drawings of the various ones available and decide what sort of leg length and spacing each one is good for.

On a brake like this one, you'd want to pay attention to the required tongue thickness on the dies. Stay away from anything that requires non-standard tooling or otherwise limits you to the tooling available from the brake manufacturer. You'd also need to look at the max vertical spacing between the ram and bed to make sure any punch and die combination you'd want to use will fit in the available space.

Power Brake Dies is one large 3rd party manufacturer of press brake tooling. PRESS BRAKE TOOLING - PRESS BRAKE DIES | POWER BRAKE DIES They would have most anything you'd need and their website shows pretty good dimensioned cross sections of the various punches and dies. Punches and dies are commodity items for press brakes, so most manufacturers have about the same selection in the commonly used ones.

The standard practice is to rate a press brake on max thickness of a full length piece of stock. That doesn't mean you can't bend heavier stock in shorter lengths.

All you need for bending 1/4" plate is a die with a 2" V opening. No danger of a standard die shattering and they certainly don't sell for thousands of bucks per foot.

If the legs are close, or fairly deep, you'd need a gooseneck punch. They're available in various sizes, and its fairly easy to look at the cross section drawings of the various ones available and decide what sort of leg length and spacing each one is good for.

On a brake like this one, you'd want to pay attention to the required tongue thickness on the dies. Stay away from anything that requires non-standard tooling or otherwise limits you to the tooling available from the brake manufacturer. You'd also need to look at the max vertical spacing between the ram and bed to make sure any punch and die combination you'd want to use will fit in the available space.

Power Brake Dies is one large 3rd party manufacturer of press brake tooling. PRESS BRAKE TOOLING - PRESS BRAKE DIES | POWER BRAKE DIES They would have most anything you'd need and their website shows pretty good dimensioned cross sections of the various punches and dies. Punches and dies are commodity items for press brakes, so most manufacturers have about the same selection in the commonly used ones.

Thanks for the info? I like this machine because it is mobile big reason.. ALso, because I do have many pieces that are 6" in width to bend there is one part that is 48" and is 1/8" long and needs a 15 degree bend on it.

So nobody has used this machine doesn't really look like a popular seller. That i the only things that bother me.

I have to say I'm suspicious of this one, as it seems awfully lightly built for a 50Ton press brake. Check out the Atek Bantam 24 ton units. Atek Bantam Press Brakes
They seem heavier than the one you're looking at at half the force rating. 50 ton brakes are generally massive.

RC

You didn't mention if you are bending with the grain, or against it, in the 1/4" material. If you bend the 1/4 with the grain, it might want to split on you on the radius. The trade off is if you bend perpendicular to the grain, it will prevent the splitting, but it requires much more tonnage. Riteway is a co. that makes planed tooling, which is what you would want to purchase, b/c ground tooling is prohibiitively expensive, and needlessly accurate for a press brake in this range. Not sure how the punches are loaded in that, but if you are loading the punches in a vertical fashion, i.e. from right under the ram, as opposed to sliding them in from the side (the usual fashion on larger/more expensive brakes), make SURE whichever brake you buy can accept punches with a safety tang. Loading a 48+ inch punch and trying to secure the ram blocks with no tang is a recipe for broken fingers or toes.

I like the design it is not real fancy but for basic fab work it would be great. Have you seen Iroquis iron worker. They make a press brake as well. It is a burn out of solid plate, neat design.

I like the design it is not real fancy but for basic fab work it would be great. Have you seen Iroquis iron worker. They make a press brake as well. It is a burn out of solid plate, neat design.

I like the looks of the Iroquois machine too. Looks heavy and is built is the US & Canada.

Back