Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Arizona
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Exactly what Fish On said in response to the original question.

I am sure a company like Pacific will make you anything, but costly no doubt. If you really have a good steady use for it, but can't fit an 8ft wide brake...buy one used and cut it down/rebuild to 4ft? That or build completely from scratch yourself would be the only "budget friendly" options imo, and probably what I would do before paying pacific or another company to build me one. Though figuring a way to accommodate a 6-8ft brake would probably be more economical and more useful in the end for most peoples situations.

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Pennsylvania
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Hi M.Moore,
    KAAST Machine Tools has a manual hydraulic pressbrake with a small footprint and high tonnage. They call is the HPA-P. I think they start at 3'x100 tons and go up to 200 tons. The one I have is 60" x 150 t and it will bend 1/2" plate like buttah!

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Pennsylvania
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by goldsmith.ebony View Post
    Hi M.Moore,
    KAAST Machine Tools has a manual hydraulic pressbrake with a small footprint and high tonnage. They call is the HPA-P. I think they start at 3'x100 tons and go up to 200 tons. The one I have is 60" x 150 t and it will bend 1/2" plate like buttah!
    They doo ?

Please post a pix of yours in your shop.

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Pennsylvania
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by digger doug View Post
    They doo ?

Please post a pix of yours in your shop.

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Kentucky
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by johnoder View Post
    Here is one about half as long as our 20 footer

600 Ton Pacific 600-10 Hydraulic Press Brake | eBay

ph
    I wish I had the space and that kind of money. (Dream big and one day it may come true)

In the mean time I got a 10" cylinder give to me out of a concrete breaking machine and a Ram Pac 10,000 psi pump and I am going to be building my own little press brake. Should be good for 200 ton but will only have a 3.5 " stroke.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I doubt if your 10" cylinder is good for more than 4,000 psi, might be 6,000. But I have never seen 10,000 psi on equipment. You will want to check out the maximum pressure on your cylinder before using.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Goldsmith,
    Those do look good! Your 5’er just has the one main cylinder and two guide columns?
    How much?
    Here is a link to the Kaasto info page, HPA-P | Hydraulic Workshop Press Brake | KAAST

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Kentucky
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by gbent View Post
    I doubt if your 10" cylinder is good for more than 4,000 psi, might be 6,000. But I have never seen 10,000 psi on equipment. You will want to check out the maximum pressure on your cylinder before using.
    It is rated for 10,000 but will limit it to 8,000 due to line rating. Thanks for the heads up though.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by jmoore2784 View Post
    I wish I had the space and that kind of money. (Dream big and one day it may come true)

In the mean time I got a 10" cylinder give to me out of a concrete breaking machine and a Ram Pac 10,000 psi pump and I am going to be building my own little press brake. Should be good for 200 ton but will only have a 3.5 " stroke.
    Am I the only one that sees issue with the 3.5" stroke? Even if you make TDC mere microns above the pinch point (which is going to be severely limiting on shapes that you can actually get out of the machine after bending), I don't think that's enough stroke to fully bend something in an 8 or 10" die (assuming we're really talking about bending 3/4 and thicker plate in this).

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Pennsylvania
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Fish On View Post
    Am I the only one that sees issue with the 3.5" stroke? Even if you make TDC mere microns above the pinch point (which is going to be severely limiting on shapes that you can actually get out of the machine after bending), I don't think that's enough stroke to fully bend something in an 8 or 10" die (assuming we're really talking about bending 3/4 and thicker plate in this).
    Yup, a simple trig layout will reveal all....

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by jmoore2784 View Post
    It is rated for 10,000 but will limit it to 8,000 due to line rating. Thanks for the heads up though.
    Do you know what its out of or have a picture? Most of those are only rated for 2.5" of stroke, then they're gravity or external spring return. If it'll work for you, they're simple but durable cylinders, normally they're plumbed to SPX powerteam pumps and use ATF as the hydraulic fluid. If you know someone scrapping one of them, I'd be interested in the valving if its still available.

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Pennsylvania
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

It's a KAAST, not Kasto!
    The 60" x 150 t cost me $26,000 but they also had a 40"x100 t I was considering for $18,500.
    Can't figure out why my photos don't post!

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Pennsylvania
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by goldsmith.ebony View Post
    It's a KAAST, not Kasto!
    The 60" x 150 t cost me $26,000 but they also had a 40"x100 t I was considering for $18,500.
    Can't figure out why my photos don't post!
    I dunno, try using the "manage attachment" button .....

14. Likes goldsmith.ebony, Angus Catterson liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

If you need a real narrow high tonnage press brake maybe don't call it a press brake anymore? I have a 300 ton Bliss straight side stamping press with 9 inches of stroke that would hold 24" of punch and die if a guy needed to use it for that I guess. I paid a lot more to crane it's 21 ton ass into the shop than I gave for the machine. Paid about 10% of scrap value for it.

Before I found the Bliss, I was collecting parts to build a 200 ton hydraulic forming press. I had two 10.5" cylinders from a 200 ton die casting press I was going to use. They were built like brick shithouses, but still only rated for 3000 PSI. Those cylinders weighed 3400 pounds EACH. I don't remember the stroke, but it was around 12 inches.

I have found it's much more efficient to just buy what you need than build it when it comes to big stuff like this. A few months back there was a 500 ton hydraulic straight side press up for sale near me. It was pretty much if you were willing to pay for craning and hauling something 25 feet tall and 80,000 pounds you could just have it.

I remember just moving those two die cast machine cylinders around. My 4000 lb forklift could only lift one. I remember hauling them in the bed of my 93 dodge 3/4 ton. Guy loaded them with an excavator and I had to have him take one out and I made a second trip an hour each way. What a waste of time.

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Pennsylvania
    Post Thanks / Like

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

And it’s already Yoder blue!

They’re actually pretty good to deal with, just wish they didn’t paint everything blue?

Kevin

18. Likes digger doug liked this post
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Pennsylvania
    Post Thanks / Like

20. Likes bsg liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

That is one helluva big chunk of iron, wonder what it weighs?

Kevin

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Interesting the tonnage indicator red lines at 150 ton, but the scale goes to 300 ton.

23. Likes Garwood liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by gbent View Post
    Interesting the tonnage indicator red lines at 150 ton, but the scale goes to 300 ton.
    I was thinking the same thing. I suppose that's the mindset most folks have with mechanicals- "It does 1/4 good, so it'll do 1/2" OK."

I've been fixing up an old Verson I have and the thing is just massive for it's rated tonnage compared to the Hydro-mechanical Diacros of the same tonnage I'm used to. This little 25ish ton Verson is the same beef as a 100 ton Diacro. I suspect it was just assumed people would overload a mechanical and the builders made it to take that abuse.

25. Likes dkmc liked this post