What's new
What's new

press brake questions

lancepr

Plastic
I have a shop shutting down near me and they several press brakes and CNC press brakes
Any reason not to get a CNC one, the brand is Amada, late 90's model?

What are the pro/con's of a cnc press brake vs a mechanical press brake?
Both 80 tons and 8'

Make sure you get the software and whatever licensing goes with it. I *think* Amada is good about giving software to people who have lost it, but that's the main downside to a cnc brake. Also, repairability may be a challenge if you bought it dirt cheap and don't have any repair budget.

Do you mean mechanical or manual? Mechanical brakes use cams to shove the ram down. You can have non CNC (manual) brakes that are hydraulic. Mechanical brakes will produce more tonnage than they can handle and break if you set them wrong. Hydraulic brakes will not go over their max tonnage, though that can be enough to squish or split tooling.

CNC brakes are way better though. You have to have the competence to change settings, calibrate and tram things, and enter in tooling libraries and make part programs. But you can make a part on a CNC brake in less time than it takes to crank all of the wheels on a manual brake.

At work I use what is essentially a manual hydraulic brake with a factory CNC retrofit. The backgauge and ram are CNC, but the R axis and finger X axis positions are manual. I hate going to the back of the machine and moving fingers or cranking wheels. Typing a number (or pulling up a program) is so much faster.

thanks,
I have a cnc plasma table that I have learned to use over years, so I should be able to figure out the cnc brake.
I will be sure and ask about software and licensing, I did not think about that.

Look at the work those machines produced, like thickness of stock. 80 tons at 8 feet could bend 8 feet of 10 gauge. Then examine what you intend to produce. And last thing is tooling. New punches and dies will make your eyes water. Buy whatever tooling you can that fits the work you plan to do.

Oh, and be aware that you have to spread the load across the ram. Typically full tonnage has to be spread across 60% of the bed width, but that varies by machine. We have a 7 foot 70 ton machine but the manual states you can't exceed 20 tons per foot or ram upset (permanent deformation) can occur. Also, your bends must be centered, within some allowance stated by the manual. Typically there will be a chart of how much tonnage can be how much off center.

Back