What's new
What's new

Press Brake - Up Acting vs Down Amada

Jimmy_pop

Aluminum
I am researching to buy a 100-150 ton CNC press brake.I really like the Amada brand. I see alot of the used machines on the market are UP ACTING. For as many years as I have bought press brake services, they have all been down acting and that is what I feel comfortable buying. I have never run a brake and so I will be learning this going forward.

Is there anything to be scared off with UP Acting? Is it just the unfamiliarity that I am dealing with? One I own it and run it, does it work and eventually feel ok?

Thanks for any feedback from anyone who has run an up acting Amada press brake.

Joel

We have an up acting Boice Crane. It was a bit weird to get used too with the up action.

I like it running it once i was used to its traits. The big advantage is that your hands start moving with the stock as soon as the ram moves. It lets you know something is happening. I feel this is a safety advantage.

I bought an Adira up acting brake some years ago and in our shop with less experienced guys it seemed like a safety feature. Worked well.

I have only ran down acting, must be a bitch with big bits balancing on the forlift tines or on a crane hook trying to follow it well enough.

I assume the stops move with em??

Does Amada still make down acting? Think about bending a 48 x 96 piece the long way with 5 bends. You hold it still against the back gauge until the punch comes down and takes over.
With up acting that large piece starts to move and you hope it stays against the back gauge before hitting the punch.

Does Amada still make down acting? Think about bending a 48 x 96 piece the long way with 5 bends. You hold it still against the back gauge until the punch comes down and takes over.
With up acting that large piece starts to move and you hope it stays against the back gauge before hitting the punch.

The backguage moves up and down with the lower die. Ive been watching a bunch of videos and it looks like it works just fine and would become intuitive pretty quickly.

After researching, I have decided to go with Accurpress. Lots of local support and its constructed with very common parts available from Grainger or other industrial suppliers. Not to mention many in the labor pool familiar with their controls.

Back