What's new
What's new

Preventing warpage while welding stainless tank, .125 sheet, 2'x2'x4'

Jesse Lackman

Plastic
I'm about ready to seal weld a tank made out of 304L stainless .125 sheet. I've got it tack welded every 3" and the current plan is to backstep weld between the tacks. I'm thinking I'd weld half way between tacks, and come back for the other half. I could alternate from one seam to another too. Just wondered if there are any suggestions before I start.

Attachments

• IMAG0926.jpg
    IMAG0926.jpg
    38.6 KB · Views: 170
Place aluminum flats or angles around your welding area to dissipate the heat. I have slotted in the corner of angle and used that as my welding window. The more you surround the welding area the better.

I weld Indy Car refueling tanks cold all the time. .060 mostly some .090, been doing it for 20 years. Have I been wrong all these years? Even if you think I am wrong I am not going to change my ways. No warpage or leaks ether.

But I don't see your technique posted as of yet....

I weld 0.060" sheet all the time.
I don't see much chance for warpage there as long as you dont stand on it and cook it.
Get in, and get out. if you cant, then don't attempt it. have a guy who knows do it.

I weld 0.060" sheet all the time.
I don't see much chance for warpage there as long as you dont stand on it and cook it.
Get in, and get out. if you cant, then don't attempt it. have a guy who knows do it.

I'm with BT. 6 sided boxes, when fully tacked up, are pretty resistant to warping just due to their shape, especially with outside corner welds. As long as you are not going too slow and overheating the snot out of it, you should be fine even if you just started at one corner, and went all the way around.

If you do feel compelled to skip around, try to skip to the same location on the opposite side (not diagonally opposite - adjacent opposite), as they will more or less pull against each other, somewhat negating each other's pull.

The main thing though is your heat control. Get in, get done, get out.

I weld stainless sheet and tubes all the time.

The 2 main things that effect warping is heat (overheating really) and the amount of filler wire used.

Something like that is going to be hard to weld with 0 warping if it is not self supporting.

The amount of heat needs to be kept to a minimum. Now that doesnt mean low amps, what it does mean is work at a good steady pace with the right heat. For example, if you run 60 amps for 10 seconds, or 30 amps for 30 seconds, the 30 amps will put more heat in to the plate then the 60 amp setting.

The amount of filler also plays a huge role in warping. As filler heats to melt and then cools to solidify, it shrinks x amount. X is small, but when it all gets added together for multiple joints, it adds up to a lot of shrinkage, with out even having a cold shower.

If you dont need full penetration, I would use a good pulse setting, but for a full pen weld on all of that, expect at best, some warpage.

Best thing you could do for a full penn weld, is to build custom chill blocks and run cold water through them. Copper works the best but would be very expensive.

If you clamp it, do not remove the clamps until it is fully cooled down.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

There are a ton of welding methods to help minimizes warpage ranging from stitching, pulse, backing bars ect.

I think every welder has their own style that they have figured out after years of welding that works best for them.

One thing that I see messed up over and over again is the dang joint design. In the case of your tank I would have went with a inside corner to corner joint. It turns a butt joint into a kinda lap join so when its welded with wire(to fill the joint) the shrinkage is almost all in a linear fashion. The sheets welded will be like its being stretched tight with less chance of oil canning.

Also with that joint style you can grind it without really worrying you'll grind through the weld. You will be putting a ton more heat(lower amps but longer weld time) into it with this joint but it warps so much less. No matter the joint design without argon backing you'll get rust inside overtime unless you treat the whole inside post welding.

Nice job keeping the front panel flat with all the nipples by the way.

Thanks for all the replies.

The tank is going to be used for floor heating system. The pipe nipples on the top of the tank are for circulating pumps and loop returns. The 3/4 nipples spaced out more are welded inside and out. The return nipples are welded inside only. There's an internal baffle separating the return and pump side. I used 1/2" stainless tubing for internal bracing in the vertical middle of the tank.

The tank will see 17' of head pressure only. Not sure I need a full 1/8 weld, or even need to use filler rod at all except for about 2" where there's a 1/16" gap.

I do have it set up for argon back purge.

IMAG0937.jpg

You should put your purge tubes in opposite corners, preferably argon in on the bottom, oxygen out on top

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Thanks for all the replies.

The tank is going to be used for floor heating system. The pipe nipples on the top of the tank are for circulating pumps and loop returns. The 3/4 nipples spaced out more are welded inside and out. The return nipples are welded inside only. There's an internal baffle separating the return and pump side. I used 1/2" stainless tubing for internal bracing in the vertical middle of the tank.

The tank will see 17' of head pressure only. Not sure I need a full 1/8 weld, or even need to use filler rod at all except for about 2" where there's a 1/16" gap.

I do have it set up for argon purge in the bottom out at the top.

IMAG0937.jpg

Welding this out today, working perfect. Purged with argon from the bottom until it put out a lighter at the top. I'm skipping between the tack welds, and covering welded area with 3/8 aluminum flat. Zero warpage, if anything it bowed to the inside a very tiny amount.

Thanks for all the comments!!

Back