What's new
What's new

Prompt and Reliable Welding Supplies/Consumables Vendors?

ChipChaff

Cast Iron
Can anyone recommend a prompt and reliable online welding supplier or is what I am experiencing with Baker's Welding and Gas typical of the online welding supply retailers?

I have a couple of orders pending with Baker's and they have not been honest with me about availability and shipping time. Apparently they just order what I order from the manufacturer and when everything comes in, ship it on to me. They're great with the automated "Thanks for your order" emails, yada-yada, but one order was placed two weeks ago and they are still waiting on manufacturers to ship my items to them. In calling their customer service three time I got a different story each time. This last time they offered to ship quicker if they could substitute items - TIG gloves and arc welding electrodes - but I declined because I ordered what I wanted.

I'm in a small town about an hour and a half from any metro area where the local welding gas supplier's main business is running a private garbage pickup service - they have a relationship with Mississippi Welding and I can order supplies online through MS welding and they will drop off my order at the local place but their prices are substantially higher and their options are more limited than most places.

Thanks - I just want to get welding!!!!

I have had good success with Bakers the few times I used them recently. Otherwise I have only done welding supplies at a storefront like Central McGowan or a farm supply store for Mig and arc welding.

I have had good success with Bakers the few times I used them recently. Otherwise I have only done welding supplies at a storefront like Central McGowan or a farm supply store for Mig and arc welding.

Part of what I am asking is whether I need to change vendors or my expectations. You being satisfied with Baker's is great, but how long does it usually take you to receive your order? Are you content to wait two weeks or more for welding electrodes?

If I know it's going to take two weeks to get something no matter who I order it from I can adjust to that. I'm not used to a vendor who doesn't disclose whether an item I'm ordering is in stock or not.

I definitely object to being misled when I called to find out what the delay was.

Before I changed LWSs I resorted to Ebay for a lot of items, and still do. There are a lot of good suppliers selling there.

So your saying you want:
1. Everything in stock, locally, for immediate dispatch.
2. The best brands, no crap.
2. low prices like on the internet.

I see the problem-o here.....:skep:
:D

So your saying you want:
1. Everything in stock, locally, for immediate dispatch.
2. The best brands, no crap.
2. low prices like on the internet.

I see the problem-o here.....:skep:
:D

I think he just wants the internet guys to ship in a reasonable timeframe, or if something is backordered for a month, make that clear before ordering.

I've run into the same problem from online welding supply stores - item says 'in stock,' but it doesn't get shipped to me for 3+ weeks.

That's usually not a problem from IOC, so that's where I'd start. Ebay sellers are pretty good at making sure what they have listed is in stock, as shipping times affect their top rated status, so that's been a good source as well.

I agree with IOC, I've bought three welders from them and had excellent service. For gloves I've been buying Tillman on Amazon, decent prices and quick. I've also used Cyberweld for tungstens and misc TIG stuff like collets and cups.

After two weeks of Baker's being unable to obtain the items to fill my orders I cancelled and received a full refund. I went on eBay and ordered the items, each from a different vendor. I have one item out for delivery today but none of the other four have gone beyond creating a label. I just got this message from an eBay vendor who was selling me a Tweco stinger and clamp. It seems the supply chain is faltering:

Hello

Due to the global situation with COVID I am going to have to cancel your recent order, this situation is outside of my control. I’m extremely sorry about this.

Normally I am able to predict with 99% accuracy when my stock is going to be delivered to me by my suppliers. Due to COVID, many of my suppliers have had to delay shipments indefinitely for a myriad of reasons. Additionally, some suppliers have chosen to shut down or decrease their staff in order to keep their employees healthy or to comply to local/regional mandates.

Again, I apologize very much about this whole situation. We have never seen anything like this in our lifetime in the USA. Most important thing right now is that everyone stays safe.

Thank you for your understanding.

----------------

Back