What's new
What's new

Are punch sharpeners worth anything these days? (pic inside for attention!!!!)

setlab

Aluminum
So I found an old pds-870 at my scrap yard that must have just been dropped off in really nice shape. Are these punch sharpeners worth anything these days? I really kinda wanted it but it also looked like it would never be used so I set it aside for my next trip there. Should I buy it for $0.25 a lb as a conversation piece?

Screenshot_20200319-230034_Chrome.jpg

I have a turret punch and a crap load of punches I could sharpen with that thing.

I'd give you $0.67 a lb if I was close to you.
Any idea on the weight? Thinking UPS $

A good buy for a fab shop that just needed to touch up cutting edges for flat top punch or die. If that's a fine adjust dial on the back side it's faster (if a bit more crude) than using a surface grinder for sharpening. At .25/lb I'd say you got a real good buy if motor is ok. Some provision for dressing the wheel is needed, didn't notice one. Leaves a better, longer lasting cutting edge than facing with carbide or using the belt sander(!). Only drawback, as with any grinder, is the temptation to grind off too much at once and ruin the hardness of the workpiece by overheating. It's not just a conversation piece it's a good addition for a fab shop with a turret puncher that doesn't want to purchase a surface grinder due to cost or lack of available room.

I've had a few of those come through my hands. That's a pretty cheesy one. They get pretty fancy. An Amada one attached to it's OEM cabinet is a pretty nice piece.

IMO, that is worth maybe $50 to the right guy. Anyone who has a punch in production has a nice sharpener or a surface grinder setup to do the same thing.

I've had a few of those come through my hands. That's a pretty cheesy one. They get pretty fancy. An Amada one attached to it's OEM cabinet is a pretty nice piece.

IMO, that is worth maybe $50 to the right guy. Anyone who has a punch in production has a nice sharpener or a surface grinder setup to do the same thing.

And it's easy enough to rig something similar on a bench grinder to do small punches so for most people it would be a waste of space.

Back