What's new
What's new

Questions about small pneumatic hammer

parts

Aluminum
Good morning,
I recently picked up a small pneumatic hammer to use in my forging process. I saw a video here a while back about a guy in Europe who uses one of these to do ornamental forging and surface texturing.
I am attaching 2 photos. The hammer is an Ingersoll Rand K1. It is quite old and I can't find much info about its use on-line.
My question: How do you open this up to install the bits? Is there a trick to it? It would seem to unscrew, but won't budge. I don't want to damage it. Thanks, Tom from Mass.

Attachments

• chipping hammer 2.JPG
    chipping hammer 2.JPG
    55 KB · Views: 77
  • chipping hammer.JPG
    chipping hammer.JPG
    58.1 KB · Views: 58
Hi Trboatworks, Thanks for your response. I did try to unscrew it that way. No luck so far. The bench holding the vise did move. There is a sheet metal collar that can rotate revealing a few holes. Probably the vent holes for the air exhaust. I just wonder if you poke a pin in one of the holes to release a spring and allow the big nut to turn? Don't know. I am hoping someone who has actually used one of these will reply. Tom

I have one of those, and IIRC you just held the rivet set in by hand.

Maybe Joe Micheals can comment.

Thanks for the information everyone! I plan to get a few of the chisels from McMaster Carr and give this a try. Tom

Agree. We used to use a ton of these things driving press fit parts in & out.

You made sure there was a spot 4-5" long on the tool to put your hand. IIRC, the "stem" that went into the driver was just a shaft (7/8" dia maybe?") a couple inches long with a generous radius at the bottom. Can't remember if the hammer hit the end of the tool or the radius shoulder.

Most of ours hung off of tool balancers. They would sure get heavy if I had to wrangle it very long.

Back