What's new
What's new

Recommend a bench punch

Cole2534

Diamond
I'm dabbling more in sheet metal for projects around the shop and other small stuff and rather than drilling holes for rivets I want to punch them.

Could someone recommend a bench mounted manual punch for holes up to 9/32 and steel up to 11ga? Most of the time I'll be using 14 or 16ga AL, but I want to capacity just in case.

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

Whoops, no I didn't.

For now, I'd be happy with 2-3" of throat. 90% of my rivets are 1/2" from the edge and the balance are about anywhere so they'll continue to get drilled.

This would suit your needs for the aluminum projects: 135010001, XX Hand Punch, Pexto Roper Whitney, Hand Punch kit

I regularly use mine to punch 7/16" holes in 0.063" thick 3003-H14. They have a bench mounting bracket for these that works pretty well, also.

This would be a better choice for your larger requirement of 11 gauge steel: 131020170, No. 17 Bench Punch, Pexto Roper Whitney #17 Punch

It's a 5 ton punch, so it will do a 1/2" hole in 11 gauge mild steel. Punches are available up to 9/16". I have adapters to use the #17 punches in my #34 lever punch which has a 24" throat. The RW #16 and #17 punches are pretty similar in capacity, but I would take the extra throat of the #17 unless I absolutely needed the little bit of extra tonnage you get with the #16. In my experience, the extra throat depth is something that you will always appreciate for that one project that seems to fall outside what you normally do.

Back