What's new
What's new

Remagnetizing welding magnets

AndyF

Stainless
We have some small triangular welding magnets we use to hold material in position for tacking that are no longer magnetized. Is there an easy and reliable way to remagnetize them?

Greetings,
There isn't really an easy and cheap to remagnetize your magnets. In order to re-magnetize the magnets you would need to make a coil the proper shape to surround your magnets and then run a very high short duration current through the coil while the magnet is inside the coil. Probably more than a thousand amps. Once you make the coil and power supply though the process is fast and cheap. Can you send them back to the manufacturer to have them re-magnetized? If you are thinking about making your own magnetic holders you should know that the common super magnets available are very temperature sensitive and will lose virtually all their magnetism if heated to 200 degrees F.
Eric

If you roll your own and the magnets are going to get hot, which it sounds like yours have to lose there magnetism you can use "samarium (SP) cobalt" its good to a few hundred degrees centigrade not the typical 80 or so of normal neodymium magnets trade off is there a bit weaker to start with.

New ones are only a couple bucks at Harbor Freight, how much is your time worth?
If it is just curriosity you could use a stick welding lead for a coil and stick a rod to the ground clamp on a high setting.

Not even close tim unless its a really small magnet, takes a hell of a lot of flux to magnetize something and you have to pick up the poles with the coils the correct way.

Personally i make my own ones not because im brand fussy, but i make the pole pieces wider (thing 3/16 not 2mm), I also machine not shear - punch them and i also fully encapsulate the magnet gap. Makes it so much easier to wipe all the dust - swarft they always collect off.

Thanks for the responses.

The magnets were cheap, we were getting ready to pitch them, but before pitching them, I wanted to make sure there wasn't an easy fix for them.

Back