What's new
What's new

Scotchman 6509 Die Holder Height Needed

johfoster

Cast Iron
I am replacing components for the punch station on my 6509-24 ironworker. The only part left that I need is the die holder (the part that mounts to the machine and holds the die block). I can purchase it from scotchman for ~$430. That price isn't too crazy I think. It is such a simple part though, and I have material here already that I could use to make one on a slower day.

The only dimension I can't get from the parts I already have is the height from the machine platform to the surface were the die block sits in the holder. I could figure it out probably (close enough at least), but if anyone who has one wouldn't mind checking the dimension for me it is very appreciated. Thanks for any help! (including telling me to just buy the factory part if that is your thoughts on the matter)
20210611_121849.jpg

Its 2 3/4" its the same for 65 and 90 ton machines

33ad655ccf91e9c45fd1998b111019fd.jpg

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

I had to replace my die block holder a while back. The OEM was a cast unit that had been welded after it cracked (several times). I had a chunk of 4140PH that I whittled away.

My design drawing:

scotchman die holder.jpg

After a few hours on my Bridgeport

scotchman 2.jpg

I also designed a nifty table with a grid of 3/8-16 holes on a 36" x 13" x 1/4" thick steel plate with some slotted fixtures to bolt down as a fence. I find it works better than using C-clamps or vice grips and definitely easier than welding any fences to a table.

scotchman 1.jpg

scotchman fixture plate.jpg

I'd be happy to email you a full size drawing or a dxf file, if interested

My machine is a 50 ton so I think the measurements will be different.

I made a new block for my Scotchman and I decided to improve on the die holder clamp. The set-screw idea was very bad, so I made a split clamp that imparts no motion to the die when it tightens. This design came from the clamps used on my old turret lathe turret, the toolholders were held in by this type of clamp. There are many benefits to the design, speed of setup is one, full rotation of the die is another, non marring and self releasing. A half turn of the locking handle is all it needs and I have never had a die move.

I thought I had a picture of the finished table with the fence system but I will have to take one and upload.

It took some time to do all the work but the benefits have paid back 100 times or more. It is such a pleasure to use now and works so well that I don't even hesitate to change the punch and die for just a few holes. I can't even imagine using an ironworker as sold by the factory, nearly useless given that it is supposed to be a production machine.

If you want more info on how I made the new die holder I am happy to share.

Attachments

• dieholder1.jpg
    dieholder1.jpg
    96.6 KB · Views: 17
  • dieholder10.jpg
    dieholder10.jpg
    92.2 KB · Views: 17
  • dieholder9.jpg
    dieholder9.jpg
    96.7 KB · Views: 18

Back