What's new
What's new

shear tonnage for 1/4" aluminum?

Caspian

Hot Rolled
I spent 30 minutes on google and couldn't find the answer.

If I am planning on shearing 48" wide plates of 1/4" 6061 aluminum, what tonnage shear should I be shopping for?

Thanks in advance if you can answer or point me in the direction of an on-line resource that will work. (found one but it didn't work)

Thanks
Chris

Its rare to see shears rated by tonnage- usually they have a thickness rating.
this roper whitney chart says 6.25 tons per inch, meaning about 300 tons for 48", in 1/4" mild steel.
Tonnage Chart for Roper Whitney Equipment

most shear manufacturers, tend to rate aluminum about the same as mild steel, in terms of shear capacity, especially since hardness and temper can vary within an alloy.
So even though, in some cases, you can push the shear to cut thicker aluminum than steel, its generally rated the same.

To temper Ries' reply, a suitable shear won't develop that much tonnage, because the blade will have shear. (puns intended) A shear will not cut the entire 48" at one time. The blade starts on one edge and progresses across the sheet. I will also agree with Ries, just look for a 1/4" capacity shear.

Thats why they dont rate shears by tonnage- because the tonnage being used is literally moving across the width of the material as you cut. Those charts are usually for figuring tonnage for the shearing action of complicated shapes of punches.

300 tons is the amount you would need if you were shearing the whole piece straight down at once, press brake style.

Thanks for the input. Obviously I am new to this, but I have a project exclusively cutting 1/4" aluminum in squares/rectangles.
I've had good luck buying at HGR and wanted to be sure if I bought something, it would do the job. I don't want to rely on them to say it will work.
I will check inventory then Google specs of the model.

Regards,
Chris

I have a Pexto 10ft shear rated for 10ga steel the full width and will handle 1/4" aluminum 48" wide. Just for reference. It's a mechanical shear.

Pretty much any hydraulic shear good for 1/8" steel or better should be able to handle 1/4" aluminum.

A shear with adjustable knives helps too, as the gap for 20ga is different than 1/4".

Back