What's new
What's new

Sheet metal folders/ Fasti brand

MwTech Inc

Titanium
Ok have the info on new Fasti folders. Who else makes these? Did some internet searches of course, but always looking for more info. Any folder users?

Basically a folder is a CNC update of an old Chicago Dries and Krump powered leaf brake.
Of course, a folder can do things the old powered leaf brakes cannot- D&K was optimising them for thick material- I have seen em as thick as 1/2" x 12', maybe even 3/4".

The italians seem to have perfected the folding machine- besides Fasti, which is near Torino, I am sure several other italian companies make these.

there is also RAS-a german company-
http://www.ras-systems.com/index_start.html?ordner=produkte_biegen&datei=gigabend.html

And now even Roper Whitney has jumped in- check out their Gemini machine
http://roperwhitney.com/bending/gemini.cfm

Most of these machines are much more sophisticated than old press brakes- clamping is separate from bending, so there is better accuracy, they usually have much better back gaging, auto thickness sensing, auto feedback loops on bend angles, so when you program 85 degrees, you get 85.

No, I havent used one. But if I got my hands on one, everything in my shop would be bent.

I do have several other european machines that are improvements of simpler american concepts, and I like em.
Here in america, we have relied on skilled labor to compensate for simple, sometimes sloppy machines, but the europeans instead have gone for high tech solutions.

Ries
I am looking at folders to produce stainless panels, most which would be polished. Some say use a press brake/urethane dies etc, but then you have the panels moving upwards[or down] through air. Folders seem the way to go, for panel work. Andy

If I was you, I would be telling the company you work for, or your wife if you own the company, how you need to go to the Fasti factory, to do some testing before you buy.

Torino is a great city- really good food, cool art noveau architecture, the Alps are right there. If you like cars, one of the best auto museums in the world. Great egyptian muesem as well. Short car ride up to Fasti, make them demo all their machines for you.

Italian factories are a kick- I have been in some with company lunchrooms with white tablecloths, fine wines, and pastry chefs. They know how to live- everything is clean and neat, well dressed young guys working there who are either engineers or grads or two year tech programs. They tend to sub out a lot to satelite companies, so they mostly do engineering and final assembly in house- but Fasti is big enough, and makes enough different machines, they probably have a decent CNC machine shop as well.

Fasti also dominates the jewelery making machine industry- they are THE major manufacturer of chain making machines in the world.

Nice 5 days in Torino, eat a little pasta, maybe some carpaccio, and its all tax deductible.
Oh, and get em to bend some stainless for you too.

I would agree that folding is going to be much better for high polish stainless. I hate touching up stainless polishing. I have almost all the stainless we do (and we do a lot) electropolished afterwards. But I dont do too much sheet- mostly fabbed and forged stuff.

Back