Sheet metal heat warping
Close
Login to Your Account
Likes Likes:  0
Results 1 to 12 of 12
  1. #1
    Join Date
    Aug 2014
    Location
    Hoboken NJ
    Posts
    88
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    0
    Likes (Received)
    15

    Default Sheet metal heat warping

    Top of the day people, Got a major problem and I need help. Got twenty of these boxes we did. The corners are soldered. From us spot welding the bands around the boxes we managed warp the sheet metal (See pictures). I’m hoping that one of you has a solution that was handed down to you long ago. The boxes are made of everyday carbon steel .030 sheet. All of you have a great holiday, Bob, Bean and Baby hound dog
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails dsc06877.jpg   dsc06876.jpg   dsc06875.jpg  

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Geneva Illinois USA
    Posts
    6,347
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    2750
    Likes (Received)
    2469

    Default

    When did the warpage occur?

    Tom

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    California, Central Coast
    Posts
    4,091
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    2234
    Likes (Received)
    1605

    Default

    A bead or lip would help a lot, have you done these before?

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Aug 2014
    Location
    Hoboken NJ
    Posts
    88
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    0
    Likes (Received)
    15

    Default

    The warpage was done from the heat of the spot welder. These are replicas. There was no bead or there can be none.

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    dexter mich
    Posts
    284
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    12
    Likes (Received)
    69

    Default

    And you have tried to straighten?

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    California, Central Coast
    Posts
    4,091
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    2234
    Likes (Received)
    1605

    Default

    The welds shrink when they cool, the surrounding metal can not so it distorts. It looks like the big stud and the heavy bracket opposite the stud are the problem not the spot welded strip. Better pics?

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Vershire, Vermont
    Posts
    2,124
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    1405
    Likes (Received)
    673

    Default

    Stretch the shrunken areas. Some easy, some not so.

    Spot welds easy to stretch slightly. Could straighten the edges by shrinking them slightly, too.

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    Santa Cruz, CA USA
    Posts
    172
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    268
    Likes (Received)
    64

    Default

    Plus one on the shrinking idea from neilho, shrinking the sides should be able to bring it in close. Close enough is an open question.

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    Vancouver Canada
    Posts
    957
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    713
    Likes (Received)
    353

    Default

    I'm amazed that warpage happened from regular spot welding. We've done lots of spot welding on 20Ga (.036") and even 22 and 24Ga and not seen that. It looks from the pictures more like the boxes got mechanically squashed while welding perhaps. It looks like the open end of the box has been squashed in from the two sides with spot welding, warping the other two sides.

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    California, Central Coast
    Posts
    4,091
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    2234
    Likes (Received)
    1605

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Rob F. View Post
    It looks like the big stud and the heavy bracket opposite the stud are the problem not the spot welded strip.
    Quote Originally Posted by rcoope View Post
    I'm amazed that warpage happened from regular spot welding. We've done lots of spot welding on 20Ga (.036") and even 22 and 24Ga and not seen that. It looks from the pictures more like the boxes got mechanically squashed while welding perhaps. It looks like the open end of the box has been squashed in from the two sides with spot welding, warping the other two sides.
    Pretty sure the spot welds are not the problem here, go back and look at the pics to see what is welded on the two sides that actually did warp.

  11. #11
    Join Date
    Dec 2016
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Arizona
    Posts
    211
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    84
    Likes (Received)
    105

    Default

    It does appear to me also that the heavy bracket and stud are where the warpage is occurring. It will be hard to join those two heavy components in the middle of that sheet without any warpage. It is not in focus in the picture, but it looks to me like there is way more weld than necessary holding that stud on from the inside. That stud in the middle of the sheet won't benefit from being fully welded as it is only as strong the .030 it is attached to, so I would say cut down in those areas if applicable.

    1) What are you using to weld the components on that are not spot welded?
    2) Does it get fixtured in anything that will heatsink, or are you just welding it all together sitting open on the bench?

  12. #12
    Join Date
    Jan 2016
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    New York
    Posts
    246
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    6
    Likes (Received)
    66

    Default Warpage from welding

    Quote Originally Posted by johfoster View Post
    It does appear to me also that the heavy bracket and stud are where the warpage is occurring. It will be hard to join those two heavy components in the middle of that sheet without any warpage. It is not in focus in the picture, but it looks to me like there is way more weld than necessary holding that stud on from the inside. That stud in the middle of the sheet won't benefit from being fully welded as it is only as strong the .030 it is attached to, so I would say cut down in those areas if applicable.

    1) What are you using to weld the components on that are not spot welded?
    2) Does it get fixtured in anything that will heatsink, or are you just welding it all together sitting open on the bench?
    The only thing I can think of is the temper of the sheet metal. There is a lot of trashy sheet products out there in the marketplace. When purchasing sheet steel be sure to specify #4 temper for general work. I had a similar problem with spot welded panels. Your spot welds look good.

    Roger


Tags for this Thread

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •