What's new
What's new

Shop-Made Press Brake Dies, Laminated

Cannonmn

Stainless
We acquired many press-brake dies recently and in putting them in the custom-made rack that came with them, we noticed a number of die sets made by stacking steel cutouts, then joining with weld beads. Some had job numbers welded on. The company that made and used them said they cut multiple cross-sections from 1/8” plate using a cnc waterjet, with two dowel holes each. Long dowels were inserted to retain alignment when the sections were welded. The company did this to save money since they found custom-made solid dies were very expensive. If anyone wants better photos of the custom-made die storage rack, ask and I’ll post some. Maybe laminated dies are common, I don’t know, I’ve just never seen any before.

John Morris has shared 7 photos with you! | Flickr

I have seen plenty of them. Some plasma cut too. Sometimes the profile is made smaller by a thickness of sheet material that will get wrapped around the punch or die to smooth it out, or change radius of a bend.

Yes, I have seen laminated dies as well. my family has been in the manufacturing business for over 100 years.
We probably have over 50 shop made dies sitting around here from different projects over the years.

We made some very large radius dies this way. Very affordable.

Even made a Wila style punch that clips into our hydraulic tool holder and accepts many different radii of nose.

0x1w2Z0l.jpg

qhR6bedl.jpg

leVFEb5l.jpg

These don't show the click mechanism but they're the pictures I had.

Attachments

• qhR6bedl.jpg
    qhR6bedl.jpg
    45.1 KB · Views: 47
Did that work? What did it bend? The way the punch and die are cantilevered out and the press's guides are inboard for such a width look very problematic to me.

Yes it works. This picture was just as it was tacked up. It was made for a dedicated cell that we use to make rolled and welded cylinders. We roll them in a four-roll pinch roller machine. Still, the beginning and ends have a small flat. This bender pre-bends the beginning and end to get a more round tube. It is only 14 gage stainless and we don’t need to tie up a bend brake. Just a cheap surplus hydraulic C frame. The pump is variable displacement with pressure limits. Something left over from an auto plant. Overkill but cheap and it won’t break when someone abuses it.

We plasma weld the tube seam on a Jetline seamer. We deep draw two different ends and TIG weld them in this simple weld lathe fixture.

I guess my point is we make a lot of cheap dedicated tooling with some surplus machines, plasma table, welder and a mill.

Attachments

• 20210322_114157.jpg
    20210322_114157.jpg
    95.3 KB · Views: 112
Could not get the photos on the OP's flicker link.
I really like those stacked assemblies, I would not have thought of that solution. I think it may come in handy some day.
Great posts, thanks all for sharing the info.

0x1w2Z0l.jpg

qhR6bedl.jpg

leVFEb5l.jpg

These don't show the click mechanism but they're the pictures I had.

I worked in a company with extensive laser cutting facilities and that enabled us to make many pressbrake and flypress tools and formers using this technique; profiles cut from 10mm plate, alignment holes/pins and then welded together. Very cost effective for low quantity or special/ emergency jobs compared to buying commercial tooling.

We acquired many press-brake dies recently and in putting them in the custom-made rack that came with them, we noticed a number of die sets made by stacking steel cutouts, then joining with weld beads. Some had job numbers welded on. The company that made and used them said they cut multiple cross-sections from 1/8” plate using a cnc waterjet, with two dowel holes each. Long dowels were inserted to retain alignment when the sections were welded. The company did this to save money since they found custom-made solid dies were very expensive. If anyone wants better photos of the custom-made die storage rack, ask and I’ll post some. Maybe laminated dies are common, I don’t know, I’ve just never seen any before.

John Morris has shared 7 photos with you! | Flickr

Those look to be short sections, is there a horizontal bender to go along with it ?
SIMASV T22 Hydraulic Horizontal Bending Press | Selmach™

Attachments

• 0075F485-7D7B-4489-9A06-E3678B14E015.jpg
    0075F485-7D7B-4489-9A06-E3678B14E015.jpg
    20 KB · Views: 50
  • 6B9257DE-1F79-4074-973E-5767224CE34A.jpg
    6B9257DE-1F79-4074-973E-5767224CE34A.jpg
    14.7 KB · Views: 49

Back