What's new
What's new

shopping for new laser

Nrobinson

Plastic
Well, my company in looking into buying a new 2d cutting laser. We currently have a 1996 2,600watt trumpf, that personally just not the happiest with, but trying to keep things fair we are doing research on different brands. I'm looking for opinions or facts on a MAZAK, HyperGear with a FMS system, or a TRUMPF, 3030. I was wondering if anyone could tell me the plus or minuses of their machines. Thanks for any info you may have.

I don't know about the Mazak and the Trumpf but I'll say this ...

DO NOT get a Salvagnini.

We bought one of their L1.it machines last year.

It took them 2-1/2 months after delivery to get it running "right" and it's still not "right" IMHO.

It runs well when it's running, and when it's not (which is all too often) they have to send somebody from Italy to fix it as their local people invariably cannot figure it out.

I have had experience with the Mazak laser, also with a Mitsubishi. Our first laser was a 1500 watt Mazak, which would cup up to about 1/2" mild steel. This was a 1996 model, I believe. A few years later we wanted a laser with more capacity, so we bought a 3000 watt Mitsubishi. We were very disapointed with the Mitz. It was constantly down for maintenance issues, and would only cut up to about 3/4" and that had a poor quality edge most of the time.

I think the biggest issue was the design differences between the two machines. The Mazak was made with a bed that moved in the "x" direction and the head moved in the "y" direction. The x direction being the 4' on a 4' x 8' sheet of steel. The laser column pivoted in the back of the machine so the laser path length was pretty much constant. The Mitz design was a gantry machine where the laser head moved in both the x and y direction above the sheet of metal. This required a lot longer beam path, which was constantly changing the length of the beam from the resonator. Theoretically, it should not matter because the beam is not focused until it reaches the head, but it always seemed like there were a lot more mirrors to align and keep clean. Also, the cost of the optics and PMs seemed like they were cheaper with Mazak. At the time, I know Trumpf was a pretty good laser too, not sure how they compare these days though.

What are you cutting on the laser? Keep in mind surface quality of the raw material is very important! At the time, we could get a grade of steel sheet that was "laser" grade, that was processed differently than standard sheet metal, so it would not have as many oxides on the surface.

Trumpf 2030

KilrB, interesting comments about the Salvagnini laser. The Salvagnini S4 (punchwith shear) and Salvagnini P4 (folding) do a very good job with the correct product mix.

Nrobinson, the company that I work for just purchased a Trumpf 2030 last July and it has done extremely well. The 2030 concept works well for loading and unloading material.
The only issues came from a custom table with a pit underneath so it can be lowered to cut boxes.

Independent CNC Programmer
www.independentcnc.com

My mission is to share CNC programming innovations for a lifetime.

I only have dealt with Lumonics and with Trumpf.
We use them for welding of stainless steel.

The Trumpf is superior in every thinkable way. Much more reliable, must more quality in the construction. And much much more afterservice, where Lumonics have a very big lack..

Just my 0.02$

Best regards

Søren

KilrB, interesting comments about the Salvagnini laser. The Salvagnini S4 (punchwith shear) and Salvagnini P4 (folding) do a very good job with the correct product mix.

Not sure what you mean by "the correct product mix."

My comment was that Salvagnini's own personnel, from here and Italy, could not get the machine installed and running reliably and correctly.

They do seem to have finally gotten it right, but ...

It took way too long, way too many service visits, and way to many replaced parts to get it there.

I would try to find someone at Bobcat in Fargo ND to see what they are using nowdays. There laser cuttings that I see are very very nice. I see up to 3/4" work they do and it is very nice.

KilrB, The Salvagnini S4 is well suited for rectangular shapes because of the right angle shear. I made to comment about the correct product mix because I have seen many companies purchase the wrong equipment with out looking at all the facts. The Salvagnini and Trumpf machines will be able to produce most anything, however, some parts run more cost effective on one vs. the other. Just my two cents…..

Independent CNC Programmer
www.independentcnc.com

My mission is to share CNC programming innovations for a lifetime.

Contact Preco they have a new high speed laser cutter that utilizes an IPG 3kW true fiber laser. It is supposed to be the fastest laser cutter out there. They demo'd it at IMTS last year. We purchased 2 laser weld cells and a 6kW IPG fiber laser from Preco last year. There service and support has been great.
http://www.precoinc.com

Ran a Mazak about 10 yrs. ago. Can't remember the model. The head and vacuum pump were Mitsubishi. The control was the best part. Very easy and natural to use. The Pallet changer was too slow. Way faster to just sling the sheets on and off by hand; though it sometimes took a hefty guy to do that all day long. That one didn't have a Z axis material sensor. Don't know what idiot though a fixed focus Z head was a good low entry feature or what idiot bought it that way ( actually that idiot was my boss ) but a custom focuser was the first add on that machine got. Out here on the left coast the Mazak repair guys are the only ones you can get to come out.

Back