What's new
What's new

Short pump shaft

Soolar

Plastic
Hi everyone. I would like to have your recommendation for this case. We have fabricated a pump shaft with 120” of length and 1.756” diameter. The pump speed is 1700 RPM. The issue started when we figured out that the machinist calculation was wrong. 2” shorter than the required size. I have suggested to do stepped shaft by making thread connection ( male & female) with 45 degree bevel to be weld and machined, but it was rejected by our QA due to the shaft will be twisted or broken. Any recommendation please.

If you have a wlder that knows how to handle the specific material you are using, turn a point on the too-short shaft and one on an oversise add-on piece. Weld on with full penetration, machine to size. May not be prqctical if material is heat-treated.

Make a new one..

If it broke by twisting.....Pump shafting needs to be sized to keep the twisting angle through the shafting below a certain threshold.

Recalculate and fix it...

Depending on material you have to de-rate it from being turned down........example 416 ss TGP 88K pump shafting if its turned down you have the same strength characteristics as c1045...

If this is an internal project, look at remaking the coupling on the drive end of the shaft to work with a 2" shorter shaft.

I d put a long or double up flexible coupling ....if not possible ,then dont weld all the way to centre.....a crack will start there......much better to weld on a sleeve ,so the weld doesnt end in a stress raiser.

Back