What's new
What's new

Smith's oxygen regulator

granitepants

Plastic
Hello all, in need of a little help. It's been 25 years since I've last held a torch and I cannot remember how to read this gauge :nutter:
I'm guessing the first red hash mark is 20 psi, where is 10 psi?
IMG_1230.jpg

Hello all, in need of a little help. It's been 25 years since I've last held a torch and I cannot remember how to read this gauge :nutter:
I'm guessing the first red hash mark is 20 psi, where is 10 psi?
View attachment 259759

pressure gage not normally accurate at less than 10% of max reading so below 20 psi you cannot really trust gage anyway.
typically a cutting torch tip runs 30 to 40psi. you adjust pressure and flow valves based of what you see at torch tip. long hose and many valves causes a pressure drop. even a welding torch tip if you want 5 psi most just set regulator for higher psi and use the torch valve to adjust flow based on what they see at torch tip flame

Kinda weird the way they've marked that. You would think that each small graduation would be 5 lbs. but if you
count them you're at 35 when the needle points to 40. I would just average it out and, as has been said, set your
torch based on what you see at the tip. If you had it to begin with it'll come back to you...:D

torch pressure setting aint like its got to be 10.000 psi and flow is often based on pressure drop going through hoses and past valves
you got a regulator made for torch cutting at 30-40psi. its not the best at what it was never made to do that is maintain a low pressure. its probably on a cheap single stage regulator.
2 stage regulators often costing over $250. are higher accuracy where you want to set a pressure that maintains that pressure better as the main tank pressure goes down. but now a days most buy cheap <$100. pressure regulators and dont bother to get regulator repaired they just buy a new one. and most if they set for 40psi and after 10 minutes it goes to 39psi many wouldnt even notice it.

10 psi is smith micro torch territory. Unless you are running a machine torch counting gas in micrograms per inch of cut just get close plus 5 'for the pot' of recommended pressure for tips.

Back