What's new
What's new

Source for new shear, brake

Mebfab

Diamond
Looking for 16 ga, 24" capacity shear and separately pan and box brake.

Anyone know of a source besides diacro that is decent? Prefer castings and really not looking for chinese weldments or worse, Chinese weldments with flashy stickers.

I love Diacro equipment. But performing due diligence to see what else is around.

I don't know of anyone else other than Diacro that makes a 16 gauge 24" shear (ignoring China 3 in 1 stuff), so that may be your only option there. If you had the space, you could go to the 36" stomp shear from Tennsmith, for about $1500 less than the Diacro. However, I've not heard the greatest things about Tennsmith quality of recent, so you might want to research that extensively before pulling the trigger.

On the brake, the only other thing I've seen is the Pexto PX24. It's US made, not sure by whom. It's on both Roper Whitney's site, as well as Tennsmith's site, so who knows?
Pexto PX24 Box-and-Pan Brake - 155070024 - Magnum Tools

I have absolutely 0 complaints with Turkish equipment, after buying a new 8' CNC press brake a couple years ago, but I don't know of anything that they make that is that small. Or if they make small stuff like that, it's not available for sale over here.

If you want good used, I see a lot of 48" and 52", 16/14ga shears out there. I am looking to get a used one soon.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

IN EXACTLY the same quandary.

The Mittler Bros "ultimate brake" looks interesting as it has segmented fingers on leaf too. Much higher mass than the average import.. but I offer this with the caveat of never seeing one and knowing no one who has

And if you have the space, go larger than 24" and heavier than 16 ga.

Not that they are less expensive or as common as Diarco, but Gerver made excellent machines out of Holland, they do come up on ebay from time to time. Hardened and ground teeth and a very good backstop setup. I have their 24" finger brake and the build quality is much better than Diarco (I also have the Diarco 24" shear and a #2 notcher, not nocking Diarco as they would always be my second choice.)

Diacro circa 2007 when we got a 24" finger brake was a sad reflection of Diacro's glory days. Somewhere I got the idea it was a mexican weldement, not that Mexico or China can't produce perfectly good weldments if they wanted to. Anyway it's definitely a weldment, and not a very straight one at that. Their current website looks exactly the same as it did then so I'd be highly suspicious but it appears they don't make a serious shear anyway. 16Ga is thick for any stomp shear I've ever used so looking for a new or used hydraulic shear would I guess be the direction to go in.

I have a pexto 24 that needs a little work if you want to save some $ over a new one...

Back