What's new
What's new

Spool Gun available for 14 year old Century?

300TD4x4

Aluminum
I am planning to set up my old Century with a spool gun and a bottle for welding aluminum. I have a newer, larger Century that I use for steel. My older one is 120V, model number 117-034. I bought it in 1993 and used it with flux core wire until I got my newer one in 1997. Do I have to buy a spool gun made specifically for that machine? If it makes any difference, it came from the factory with a Tweco gun.

I wouldn't do it on a 110v welder.By the time you buy a control box and the gun you will have 6-700 more bucks in it. If you want to try to weld alum just get a nylon liner for your Tweeco gun it would be cheaper to see if its going to work plus the argon gas...Bob

It should work alright. You would want one of the Miller spoolmates and the control box to go with it. Whats nice about this is it will work with just about any machine so when you get a REAL ;) welder it will work with that as well. If you have a short enough gun you may even get away with using the stock liner instead of a nylon or teflon and give that a try.

Either way you way you wont be able to run 4043 because it is too soft. Like pushing a rope. Try 5356, its a lot stiffer and stronger but does not flow as well. .035 is probably as thin as you can push. 3/64 would be better but I dont think your machine has enough oomph to run it.

Back