What's new
What's new

Spot welder for weld nuts

Strostkovy

Titanium
We use nuts like this:
1137983.jpg

But weld them in manually. We would like to buy a resistance spot welder to put them in with instead.

Any ideas on capacity and manufacturers? Our welding supplier is great but doesn't really know where to look on this, and it looks like Miller and Lincoln don't make spot welders.

Specifically looking for the squeezy type spot welders. For $5k would be great but I don't have a frame of reference here. 208V 3 phase. Nuts up to 1/2".

I just started spot welding those same nuts in 1/4-20 on my 30kva press type welder. I think its only set on 10 cycles and 40% power so not much and just about welds the whole nut to a pc of 16ga. I know it wouldn't budge with a wrench and putting a screw in and a good hammer whack nothing even thinks about moving.

Call the guys at TJ Snow, they have been pretty good to deal with for tooling etc, and I know they sometimes have some rebuilt machines etc. I found my machine at auction for $100. lol.

My welder and electrode setup for the nuts. Goes pretty fast and the peg makes it easy to drop the nut on, then locate the part to the nut. I believe the peg is anodized so its electrically isolated. Both of the pads are a tungsten alloy to last a long time. My biggest expense on the welder so far has been a miller coolmate off ebay to hookup for the water cooling.

Whatever welder you get, be sure it has a controller, the older ones that only have transformer taps are just not as nice. Mine has a very basic control but can still set several steps by cycle durations and it will store like 15 programs (I think they refer to them as sequences)

ddff4f82ed2d60e847e9904647b68d5e.jpg
066573774b15c062c7e13a14b0ba02cd.jpg

Back