What's new
What's new

Stamping Press Minimum Feature Size?

Radar987

Hot Rolled
What's the minimum feature size that can be achieved in a stamping press? Is it just a matter of how finely you can make the dies? I'm thinking about a part with a sort of sawtooth pattern where the teeth are 0.005" crest to crest. Inside corners are radiused 0.003", so dies can be made with the higher end wire EDMs.

The material is generally 0.010" or thinner, brass and aluminum.

Thanks.

What's the minimum feature size that can be achieved in a stamping press? Is it just a matter of how finely you can make the dies? I'm thinking about a part with a sort of sawtooth pattern where the teeth are 0.005" crest to crest. Inside corners are radiused 0.003", so dies can be made with the higher end wire EDMs.

The material is generally 0.010" or thinner, brass and aluminum.

Thanks.

Reference 'fine blanking' an example will be found in small electronic terminals.

Quite a bit in the new NYC CNC video tour of Superb Manufacturing. Going from 100 million to 1.3 billion parts per year can happen when you start making a lot of small connectors with features on this scale.

YouTube

Looking at all of the stamped parts for electrical ICs and connectors, I have no doubt this can be done reasonably.

It's not whether it can be done or not. It's been done for years.

Your example does not include tolerances. So, "reasonable" depends. You can have it quick, cheap, or accurate; pick two.

As far as the smallest feature size a stamping die can maintain? A feature that references itself, like you mentioned with a sawtooth pattern? I wouldn't expect anything more accurate that 1/10th T

Back