What's new
What's new

starting a machine shop

metalmann

Plastic
My brother inlaw has been a machinist for 25 years.He is currently getting ready to try and start his own shop.Its a little scary.Any one been down this road that would like to share any thoughts or ideas would be greatly appreciated.Im a welder for about 10 years now.I only have some knowledge in the welding field.In advance i'd like to say thanks

As long as there is a sound understanding of what the business will consist of and what the "target" customer will expect.

It is plain foolish to start up a manual machine shop in an area that has a customer base largely used to getting stuff done on CNC machines.

It is also foolish to borrow a lot of money to invest in the latest CNC machines if the area has a customer base that will not support this sort of debt based business.

Find your niche - go after it relentlessly. It has been said that a typical customer will not remember your name or what you do until you have been face to face with him six times.

John

After 25 years one have a clear view of the market.

Quote>

Find your niche - go after it relentlessly. It has been said that a typical customer will not remember your name or what you do until you have been face to face with him six times.

Absolutely.
For me, that’s the main pillar of any business.

My wife just bought me a new tormach for my birthday. She told me to start my own company because she knows I don't work or play well with others

A few tips.. I learned.. From Day one.. It is a business, do not get started trying to "Help folks out", thinking that it will build a customer base. For some reason, people seem to think a small shop is there to do favors... Always remember, it is a business, just like a store, gas station, doctor's office, etc..

Also, avoid letting friends and family to Hang Around, for lack of anything else to do. They will waste half of your day, and you will end up working nights and weekends, just to stay caught up.

I guess my suggestions seem kinds harsh, but those were the biggest problems I faced, when we started our shop.. If I could do it over, there would have been a much stricter set of rules..

Davis in Sc hit the nail right on the head. I am in the process of a machining and fabricating startup business. I started off doing the "helping folks out"....not any more. Very hard to get out of that. Dont be too cheap, charge your friends. But be fair.

Its hard work, Ive collected old equipment & fabricated some of my Equipment over the last 20 years & you still have to work 7 days a week night & day to make good money

The input has been awesome. I'll still would love to hear from more of you machine shop people(workers ,owners suppliers etc).Thanks in advance. mm

Back