What's new
What's new

Stick welder leads

Glen Vassallo

Plastic
Hello all,
This is my first time posting in this section of the forum. I have just aquired an old stick welder. The plate on the front of the machine says "Varios Fabrieken B.V Grningen Holland Type VT.175". I think that this then became ESAB. The leads were missing so I bought a set but do not know which lead goes where. Both sockets on the machine are the same . Does it make any difference where I connect the ground lead and the other lead (the one which has the welding rod connected to it)? Thanks for now.
Glen

Yes it makes a big difference. Could you put a pic or two up for those of us not familiar with the make you have. And please don't fire it up till you KNOW you have wired correctly.

It only makes a difference IF it is an AC/DC machine.
An AC machine they are reverseable, A DC machine they can be reversed for different welding applications or electrodes.
Even a MIG has polarity that gets reversed for different applications. (Fluxcore wire)

Just try them both on some scrap. As above it makes a big difference if its a dc machine. If its a ac machine there's no difference. A std 6013 rod will happily run ac and will make a clear difference polarity wise for dc.

Just put a multimeter on the sockets. Most power supplies have 80 volts open circuit voltage. Whichever lead is ground on your multimeter will be the negative lead on your machine.

Don't forget to mark them when you get it figured out. That way when the cords get tangled and you pull them out, you can put them back in easily.

Back