What's new
What's new

Still trying to strengthen 16 gauge steel, beader?

Caspian

Hot Rolled
I unsuccessfully tried to bend a 1/2" rib in 24" of 16 gauge steel with the break press I bought. It will need more tonnage than I can fit in my current space.

I am looking to an alternative to welding angle along the length to strengthen.

Is a beader a viable option or will it bow a 18" x 24" sheet of 16 ga if I run 3 beads down the length? If it would bow it, could I physically bend it straight by hand? It need to be about 95% flat, not precision.

Attached are picts. of the beader I was considering.

Thanks
Chris

Attachments

• beader2.jpg
    beader2.jpg
    79.3 KB · Views: 147
  • roller.jpg
    roller.jpg
    81.4 KB · Views: 132
I unsuccessfully tried to bend a 1/2" rib in 24" of 16 gauge steel with the break press I bought. It will need more tonnage than I can fit in my current space.

I am looking to an alternative to welding angle along the length to strengthen.

Is a beader a viable option or will it bow a 18" x 24" sheet of 16 ga if I run 3 beads down the length? If it would bow it, could I physically bend it straight by hand? It need to be about 95% flat, not precision.

Attached are picts. of the beader I was considering.

Thanks
Chris

Bead at each long edge, I can see happening with that rig.

But where were you wanting to put the third bead?

Seems to me you'd be ahead to outsource this to a shop that is already in the business, tooled for it, and experienced at it.

If their top tree guys are NOT living in grand mansions and driving exotic motorcars to work?

Their price is not likely to be one you can match, let alone beat, DIY. They've already made their investment.

I went on to my post to delete it because I realized the machine wouldn't do one in the middle.

Would a third (middle) rib add significantly more strength? I'd rather learn from someone who does this since I have no experience in the area. I was just assuming that 3 would be better than 2, but if 2 toward the edges would work, then that would be good news.

I'd rather not outsource 1) to save $, 2) to ensure there are no delays beyond my control.

Thanks
Chris

I went on to my post to delete it because I realized the machine wouldn't do one in the middle.

Would a third (middle) rib add significantly more strength? I'd rather learn from someone who does this since I have no experience in the area. I was just assuming that 3 would be better than 2, but if 2 toward the edges would work, then that would be good news.

I'd rather not outsource 1) to save $, 2) to ensure there are no delays beyond my control.

Thanks
Chris

Based on info so far as to how you have been going about it and your having no experience at it, you may very well insure the delays ARE "under your control" and prevent saving money as well.

I'd rather outsource it and not have the delays nor investment costs and learning curve to begin with, myself.

Then again, I am both cheap AND lazy, so.. I do what I am good at, admit that isn't EVERYTHING, and pay someone better than I am to do what HE is good at.

OTOH, as much flexibilty as you seem to have as to where ribs are or are not?

I'd probably just buy stock ribbed material and have it cut to length. Lots of it out there.

:)

Last edited:
I agree, that would be easier. But, I'd rather ask, learn, and try. However, I'd rather not drive 3.5 hours for a piece of equipment, spend $XXX and realize it's not what fits the bill.

IIRC the "Finn Power" type sheet metal punch machines
can do what you want, all while they are creating the
rest of the part.

doug is talking about cnc turret punches- which, yes, would do it, but may be just a bit of overkill, moneywise and size wise.
I have a deep throat hand crank Pexto beader- its a Pexto 622, which is a 7" throat, which means center of a 14" piece. It will do 18 gage, but 16 gage is a bit of a stretch for it. Yes, longitudinal beads will stiffen your piece of sheet metal. Depends, though, on how much load you are going to put on it.
There are deeper throat power beaders out there- old machines like a pexto 3617

doug is talking about cnc turret punches- which, yes, would do it, but may be just a bit of overkill, moneywise and size wise.
I have a deep throat hand crank Pexto beader- its a Pexto 622, which is a 7" throat, which means center of a 14" piece. It will do 18 gage, but 16 gage is a bit of a stretch for it. Yes, longitudinal beads will stiffen your piece of sheet metal. Depends, though, on how much load you are going to put on it.
There are deeper throat power beaders out there- old machines like a pexto 3617

I meant to have someone make the part on their CNC turret stamper, complete.
Farm out the job, have it come in completely cut and formed.

Back