What's new
What's new

Supplied air shields for grinding

M. Moore

Titanium
Anyone use one?
I am looking at getting one as I already have the compressed air filter for my sandblasting hood.
I want one that is easy to use and is comfortable. I don't want to spend a bunch of cash and have it sitting on the shelf because it is
too much of a pain to use. Just did 8 hours of grinding and smoothing welds and it is pretty hot here right now.
Everything sounds great online but without being able to try them on and test it is a crapshoot.

Thanks for the info in advance....

Michael

Not sure what to recommend, but if your welding, you may as well look for a setup that works with a hood too, previous employer of mine went to supplied air for both fettling and welding hoods, not having to deal with the battery packs + separate filtration on every person saved a massive amount of lost time. previously i think they had been using one of the belt mounted 3m solutions with battery filter and fans, only change was that belt unit was replaced with the supplied air unit. Think they all stuck with there respective 3m hoods - screens.

Adama,
Thanks for the info. I assume fettling is british speak for grinding and smoothing welds?
From what I have seen the welding hood adds weight and bulk, currently we weld inside and grind outside under a covered area. I have an excellent fume extraction setup which will snatch the pencil out of my pocket if careless.

MM

At one time I had a jacket that was cooled by a vortex tube connected to shop air. I think the same outfit made something to cool the hood. It has been over 35 years since I bought it and can not remember who sold it.

If using a supplied air hood that connects to shop air the compressor must be an oil free unit or there is a risk of carbon monoxide in the supplied air.

Illinoy,
I like the sound of that jacket!
The air filter I use is designed for a regular compressor, large enough for sandblasting.
Here is a link to the product. I actually have one of each make.

Sandblasting Breathing Air Filters / Cartridges - Manus Abrasive

The cool air supplied to the face sheild would be enough in this hot weather. Compared to a half mask, glasses and face sheild which are a real pain to get into a supplied air system should be an easy go-to setup. The half masks are hot to wear and don’t always keep all the grinding dust out.

MM

At one time I had a jacket that was cooled by a vortex tube connected to shop air. I think the same outfit made something to cool the hood. It has been over 35 years since I bought it and can not remember who sold it.

If using a supplied air hood that connects to shop air the compressor must be an oil free unit or there is a risk of carbon monoxide in the supplied air.

Vortex (or some similar name) makes them, but they are way overpriced.

IDS blast sells no name copies much cheaper.
Sandblasting Supplies & Sandblasting Parts | Indianapolis, Indiana | IDS Blast

Vortex tube is a generic name for the device. I was not aware it was also used as a brand name.

Yeah....it was late when i posted that..IIRC Exair is the brand.

FWIW I got qty (2) NIB exairs with belt from HGR for $20.....Sorry.

Back