What's new
What's new

Syncrowave 350 maintenance/voltage problem

West-7

Aluminum
I've got a older sync 350 I picked up last summer that's been great. I put the welder into service immediately after acquiring it and really like it.

When I start the machine at idle with the amperage knob turned over 20% the voltage sits at 64.5. Shouldn't this be at 0 when I'm not welding?

Is there any maintenance that I should be doing to this machine? I was thinking about popping all the covers off and at least blowing the dust out. Would spraying anything with electrical contact cleaner with a lubricant or cleaning up any connections be beneficial? Are there any components inside that should be replaced due to age?

If the remote contactor switch is set to panel then you will see open circuit voltage (OCV)on your meter.
if the remote contactor switch is set on remote then you should only see voltage on your meter if the foot pedal or what ever remote control you are using is activated, ether way you will only see amperage on your meter when welding(under load)
Other then a good blow out, with low pressure dry air is about all you need to do with a good working power source.
Be sure to unplug the power source before blowing out and watch not to get carried away around the P.C. boards and capacitors.

One maintenance item is the points adjustment underneath a cover in the back.
A coolant flush is something that has to be done every 6 - 12 months. Otherwise the plumbing inside will rust out. It's built in, no need to add your own rust.
This happened in my cooler.

DSC_0558.jpg

I fixed it like this.

DSC_0556.jpg

Blowing out dust is good. Removing the panel(s) requires removing the sheet metal screws. You would think that they would use inserts instead to keep the holes from
getting over-sized by repeated ins and outs. Reminds me when I asked service for 5 black sheet metal screws. They sent me 500.

One maintenance item is the points adjustment underneath a cover in the back.
A coolant flush is something that has to be done every 6 - 12 months. Otherwise the plumbing inside will rust out. It's built in, no need to add your own rust.
This happened in my cooler.

View attachment 277861

I fixed it like this.

View attachment 277862

Blowing out dust is good. Removing the panel(s) requires removing the sheet metal screws. You would think that they would use inserts instead to keep the holes from
getting over-sized by repeated ins and outs. Reminds me when I asked service for 5 black sheet metal screws. They sent me 500.
In contained GTAW coolant systems, Be sure and use coolant that is formulated for GTAW cooling systems, some people complain about the price but its well worth it. You should never see rust problems.

My voltage display is "---" no matter what the amperage knob is set to.

Assuming your talking about a syncrowave power source then you have a what is called a constant current power source.
You should see open circuit voltage (OCV) on your meter, close to what the nomenclature tag on your power source states the OCV should be, remember that's open circuit ,NOT welding. Voltage should not change much with current(amperage)change when idle, not welding .
Your voltage meter will not display anything if the power source is switched to remote contactor and what ever remote control you are using is not switched on, example foot pedal or torch mounted contactor/ current control not activated.

Back