What's new
What's new

Thermal Arc Cutmaster 102 Power Question

teemfan93

Cast Iron
I've recently purchased a thermal arc cutmaster 102 from auction. It was initially wired up for 3 phase, but I am trying to convert it to single phase 230/208 (I think my voltage is somewhere at 240V +- a few %).

I am getting a input power fault when I power it on. I've attached a picture of both the wiring diagram as well as the wiring I have on the machine. There is also a switch on the back of the machine that is set for hi/low and I have confirmed I am in the correct position for 240V.

Any ideas here? In the user manual, the fault I am getting is the 65 psi fault light, which corresponds to input power issues.

https://www.weldersupply.com/Content/files/ProductPDFs/Cutmaster102ServiceManual.pdf

I am hoping someone who has theirs wired up for 240V would be able to share a picture of how they have it wired. I have one hot line (white) into L3 and black into L4

IMG_0191.jpgIMG_0192.jpg

I've recently purchased a thermal arc cutmaster 102 from auction. It was initially wired up for 3 phase...]

Have you anyway to confirm that it was working when purchased at the auction? If you bought it as-is at an auction there is a good chance it could have previous issues in the first place. It looks like you have it wired correctly to me. Can you wire it back up 3ph, and take it somewhere with the power to test it as it was for starters?

You have it switched into the low volt setting and wired correctly then when powered up (turned on) check for correct voltage between legs T-1 and T-2, also check between legs T-3 and T-4. be sure your ground feed is tied to chassis ground, safety first.
Also check control board fuses.
Seems that about half of the surplus/auction sale plasma power sources have problems or are just toast.

I think the voltage switch must have been stuck or maybe had old contacts. Messed around with it last night and flipped the switch a few times and the machine came on without issue.

Found a torch consumables kit as the torch looks pretty bad, so we'll see how it cuts when all that comes in.

Thanks for the help everyone.

Back