What's new
What's new

2 feeders one power source?

M. Moore

Titanium
I recently picked up another Miller S74 feeder and would like to hook it up to my Miller Dimension 452 power source.
I currently run one feeder to my welding bench and want to use the other feeder in my grinding area for touch ups etc.
Is it possible to hook up both feeders at the same time but have a switch so I can use one or the other as needed? I can just unplug and plug in each time but that seems a bit slow and annoying. Just hitting a switch would be the best setup.

Thanks for the help in advance.

Michael

Don't see why not, as long as you have some basic knowledge of electronics, and common sense (not saying that you don't!!).
It just seems a bit over the top when you might solve the problem by moving some things around and employing good decorating skills.
JM .02

So, are you saying there is no ready made solution, it is a make it yourself switch?
I don't see how I can "move things around"? My shop is set up with the welder about half way between the welding table and the grinding room. I have enough cables with the new feeder to set it up in the grinding room and it will be easy to walk over to the welder from either place and switch to whatever feeder is needed.

In the ideal world there would be two 14pin receptacles on the machine with a built in switch........

IIRC I have seen this set-up many times before, only with Miller (could be the other manuf's offer it as well)
While the feeders were both on the same boom, the operation was simply
whichever trigger you pull, is the current and voltage you get (the wire feeders have both voltage & amperage readouts, as well as voltage control)

Maybe ask your local Miller rep. I have a dual gun feeder set up with a XMT 350 MPA power source. Can even have one gun set for aluminum push pull.

Just put a splitter on your 14 pin and power cables, as mentioned above whichever gun you use will work. No need for other switches. If you are really worried about switches I am sure the feeders have a power switch (mine all do), just turn on the one you want to use.

Just put a splitter on your 14 pin and power cables, as mentioned above whichever gun you use will work. No need for other switches. If you are really worried about switches I am sure the feeders have a power switch (mine all do), just turn on the one you want to use.

OK, that sounds very good.

There aren't really any Miller reps in Canada, well not in my area anyway. I will call Miller to find out the part number that I need.

I work on my own mostly but what would happen if you tried to use both feeders at the same time?

A lot of bad things will probably happen in areas you dont want them to happen in.

That's why companies dont offer solutions like this.

There is dual tig torch switch which is common and store bought, which you could you as a reference for building yours.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Bondo,
Can you elaborate on the bad things that will happen and why?
Are you saying bad things will happen if both feeders happen to get turned on at the same time?
Others have said it will work fine with a splitter so please tell us all what you know.

One or the other feeders will work fine, by themselves. If you try to weld with BOTH feeders at the same time I would bet the volts would be about half for each feeder so the weld will be birdshit if anything.

Not a problem, we run Lincoln DC 250 constant voltage power sources with dual feeders and Miller shop masters with dual feeders.
The way there set up is whatever gun trigger is used it closes the power source contactor closes providing weld current as well as power to that particular feeder gas solenoid/ drive system.
The only thing you have to watch out for is that both guns will be electrically hot at the same time(weld current)
So you have to be sure that the un-used gun contact tip/ electrode wire is not in contact with anything as as the work/ground.
Reason we do this is that one feeder is set up for flux core and the other solid wire.

Not a problem, we run Lincoln DC 250 constant voltage power sources with dual feeders and Miller shop masters with dual feeders.
The way there set up is whatever gun trigger is used it closes the power source contactor closes providing weld current as well as power to that particular feeder gas solenoid/ drive system.
The only thing you have to watch out for is that both guns will be electrically hot at the same time(weld current)
So you have to be sure that the un-used gun contact tip/ electrode wire is not in contact with anything as as the work/ground.
Reason we do this is that one feeder is set up for flux core and the other solid wire.

Shouldn't be a problem if both feeders have contactors.

I was checking the parts diagram and also my machine and noticed that there is a knockout right beside the 14 pin receptacle on the front panel. So it appears that I could wire a second one right into the machine. I called Miller but they were closed yesterday.

I work on my own mostly but what would happen if you tried to use both feeders at the same time?

If one is a spool gun and the other is boring feeder the spool gun dies a rather agonizing yet fast death. It is not uncommon to have multiple guns run from a single source. Our fitters have solid wire and flux core feeders instead of swapping spools and drive wheels. Some of the welders have dual wire guns and single wire guns on the same unit - those are new and designed for just that.

Update on this question....
I finally got a chance to call Miller tech support about adding a second feeder to my Dimension 452 power source.
According to Miller there is only one way to do this and it is with a Process Selector Switch. I asked if it could be done any other way and the answer was simply "No".
The switch from Miller is part no 042872 and costs about $1700 US dollars. Ouch! That translates to $2100 CAN dollars plus plus plus as always.
The good part was I got through on the phone to a real person very quickly but it seemed like he was not interested helping me find a lower cost solution. Spending twice the cost of the welder on a switch seems a bit over the top.

I would really like to know how the dual boom mounted feeders that Digger mentioned were actually connected to a single power source.

I picked up a selector switch for my lincoln so I could run stick or my LN 25 off of it off of ebay for a few hundred dollars. Lincoln quoted me about what you said. I dont know why a splitter 14 wire wounldnt work like someone said both would be hot though. dont know how the machine would know or care which one the amps where going to. I think the trigger for the gas solenoid is triggered by the gun. Just couldnt run both at the same time

Here is a question for all you knowledgeable folks.

The image below is the exact 14 pin receptacle that is on the dimension 452. If I installed a second receptacle on the machine (there is a spot right beside the other one on the panel) and just connected all the wires to the same terminals as the original, would it work?

From what I have read here I would just have to shut off each feeder after use as a precaution so I could not energize both feeders at the same time. I also think the welder would get confused if both feeders were on at the same time as both have voltage control which is done inside the welder rather than the feed speed which is controlled on the feeder.
I bought the parts for the voltage control for each feeder as I like to be able to make the changes right on the feeder.

I have not been able to find any information on any kind of "splitter" product for the 14 pin plug.

Attachments

• millerplug.jpg
    millerplug.jpg
    14.1 KB · Views: 18
Here is a question for all you knowledgeable folks.

The image below is the exact 14 pin receptacle that is on the dimension 452. If I installed a second receptacle on the machine (there is a spot right beside the other one on the panel) and just connected all the wires to the same terminals as the original, would it work?

From what I have read here I would just have to shut off each feeder after use as a precaution so I could not energize both feeders at the same time. I also think the welder would get confused if both feeders were on at the same time as both have voltage control which is done inside the welder rather than the feed speed which is controlled on the feeder.
I bought the parts for the voltage control for each feeder as I like to be able to make the changes right on the feeder.

I have not been able to find any information on any kind of "splitter" product for the 14 pin plug.

You will be fine adding the second 14 pin as you described.
On my machines the remote voltage control on the wire feeders changes the voltage of the machine, at the machine so every time you switch feeders you have to reset the voltage for that feeder.
I would be curious what happens to the machine voltage if both feeders have remote voltage control and are both turned on at the same time. Might be that one feeder should not have remote voltage control in case there is some problem with two remote controls at the same time?

Back