What's new
What's new

Thoughts on reproducing engine lathe apron cover plate in 18 gauge stainless ? (pic)

Milacron

Administrator
Staff member
Would like to replace the pictured apron cover plate with something nicer... problem is (set up time) I only need quantity one ....so what would be most cost effective way to do it ?

(and yeah would be nice to laser in the oil plunger drawing while at it, but could make a sticker for that if it came to it)

IMG_9726-1.jpg IMG_9722-1.jpg

Naturally I would furnish dimensioned drawing, but haven't got around to it yet. Plate size about 8 x 14 inches, fine brushed or mirror finish stainless.

Would like to replace the pictured apron cover plate with something nicer... problem is (set up time) I only need quantity one ....so what would be most cost effective way to do it ?

(and yeah would be nice to laser in the oil plunger drawing while at it, but could make a sticker for that if it came to it)

View attachment 329384 View attachment 329385

Naturally I would furnish dimensioned drawing, but haven't got around to it yet. Plate size about 8 x 14 inches, fine brushed or mirror finish stainless.

Don't make a "Drawing" make a CAD file.

It should be a pretty simple water jet or laser cut job, if you provide a DXF file. If there's a tech shop or a tech school nearby, probably get someone to draw it up and cut it for a swap of some hand tool? Even a regular shop shouldn't charge much if they don't have to take the time to measure it and create a DXF (etc.) file.

Tinniest looking feature of that Weiler. Would anything be compromised by making the panel out of say 10g plate & milling the edge bevel? Or does it rely on a bit of 'spring' to make a nice edge 'seal' (in appearance)? I'd definitely have the lube pump instruction diag laser engraved to stay in keeping with the machine.

I can't tell from the pics, is that part flat, or is it formed around the perimeter (one image makes it look flat, the other makes it look like it has an offset around the perimeter)?

If it's flat, one offs like that are exactly what places like oshcut.com and sendcutsend.com are for (laser cutting).

Oshcut shows on their site that they offer multiple stainless finishes, as well as doing in house graining. Not sure if sendcutsend offers graining.

Best thing is, online automated quote process. Upload your .dxf, have a quote in minutes. My guess on price? Probably high double digits, but I've never run a quote for stainless through their site.

I can't tell if it's flat either, Fish On.

To actually answer your question:

If it was flat, and walked in my shop you'd be looking at 175 to 225 with fine brushed 304 18ga and no engraving, +/- .005". Could always get fancier for more $, quantity of one adds most of the cost. It should be less expensive for you to have it laser cut.

Back