What's new
What's new

TIG off of 110v

SLOEIT

Cast Iron
Hi all,

I am going to make an adaptor plug for my Dynasty 200DX, basically to allow me to plug it in to 110V household plugs. This will of course limit the output amps of th welder...but does anyone know by what amount?

I have seen other 110V welders put out around 80 amps max on 110v 15A circuits...

This is basically to "self limit" my amp draw by not exceeding X amount of amps...

Thanks for any insight!

Nick

I think the manual should have that info in there. There should be some graphs of the volt/amp curves and have listings for voltage in.

Think you should be able to get at least 130 amps off a 20A circuit, maybe up to 150.

-Jerry

Can't answer your direct Q, but I still have a 110 to 220 pigtail adaptor made years ago to do some stainless TIG welding. A buddy wanted me to tack weld his airplane exhaust system as we built it in place on the aircraft. My welder low current was 30A, which was not low enough. Plugged into the 110 outlet, I don't know what amps it was putting out ("theoretically" 1/2) but it welded fine, at least for those short intermittant beads.

I later asked about it either on Chaski, or early years here, and at the time, no one was sure enough one way or the other if there were any risks to the equipment or not.

smt

I just fired my dynasty up for the first time!!!

it turns out my breaker is 20A, so i replaced receptical to a 110V-20A plug.

The amperage turns down to 1A. Although maintaining a stable arc below about 5 or 6 is difficult.

First welding job? Two razor blades...Before i believed that it was the person who made all the difference, now i can see that the welding machine itself can play a huge role!

nK

the 200dx rocks, i have never tig welded before buyin one..it made learning (still progressing) very easy. it is an awesome machine
scott

For anything that low you will need .020 tungstens or less. I have some .020 and I know .010 is available but I have never seen it.

Back