What's new
What's new

TIG question

Rolland

Aluminum
I am looking to purchase a small tig welder for light welding work, mainly gunsmithing. I was looking at the Miller Enconotig model and was interested in knowing if anybody had any dealings with this model.
I had also looked at the Lincoln Precision tig 225

I have an econo tig for sale that is like new condition. Only reason I'm selling is I bought a syncrowave 250. They are very nice welders. Jason

Do you plan on doing any Aluminum? If not go with the Maxstar 150STL or 200. Both are great machines, way smoother DC than any transformer machine.

I have the 150STL, Dynasty 200DX, XMT-304, and Ltec 250HF. Inverter is the way to go.

Macona
Are you saying the Maxstar is not suitable for aluminum? I am very new to tig welding and don't know a lot about it yet other than watching others use one. So I need all the help I can get in that department.

Yes, for welding aluminum you need AC output. I personally dont like lincolns machine. From working on the I think they are poorly designed and several years behind miller. Miller and Thermal arc both make good inverter machines.

If you can swing the price go for a Miller Dynasty 200 or Thermal Arc ArcMaster 185 or 200. Otherwise the Synchrowave 200 is a very good machine for the money. All of these machines will do aluminum.

I have an econotig at work. Not especially impressed. hard to fix things when they break. if you can afford something better, I would get something better. I like miller welders, but I'm sure there are others that work fine too. I just have had the best experiences with them, although that might be because I have used them more than others, so I am used to the controlls and feel of them better than others.

The Econo tig welds alum. fine. I have welded .125 plate with no problems. I have also welded some aluminum cylinder heads with pre-heat. These welders are excellent for the money. I have also welded .065 wall 4130 tubing, titanium, and 316 stainless. I have used many different kinds of welders and the Econotig is very capable of getting the job done.

I have a hobart tigwave 250 (abit older). It has never let me down and has really nice arc control. Portable too.

Dunno but a used machine might be in order if you know the seller. Amazing how something as simple as TIG power supplies have come along. JRouche

Thanks for the responses Guess I better contact the local supply house and see what I can get.
Sounds like the miller may be the way to go.

tnmgcarbide
I have not anticipated working with really thin stuff but if history repeats its self I would always need what I don't have.
Macona
I have found some of the millers for $1400 on ebay and was hoping to stay in that range. But if the right deal came along????

You could find a better used machine than a Encontig for that price. Keep an eye out on Ebay and Craigslist just dont get too impatient. Something WILL pop up. The one thing is you DO want a squarewave machine. This will be most machines from the mid 80's. Ltec Squarewave 250HF, Miller Synchrowaves, Airco machines are all good.

The econotig welds just fine, I've made good welds with it no problem, but it's extremely limited. Duty cycle leaves much to be desired. No AC balance, no postflow control, no adjustments of any kind except for the amperage and polarity. I have been told that some parts are not worth fixing when they break. The HF on mine at work is giving trouble, haven't looked at it myself yet, but was told that it is not an easy repair.

You can't have a machine that's too big really, unless you need portability. Too small, well, can't really boost that amperage can you?

If you get a used one, be sure to check that the torch and hoses are in good shape and easy to get parts for. I have had some trouble with older ones in the past that do not show up on the manufacturers website anymore. Doesn't mean the parts aren't available, just that they can be hard to rustle up. A new torch adds another 250 - 300 to the price tag. Make sure other accesories are there too. regulator/flowmeter, foot pedal... A used machine may seem like a good deal until you have to go around getting all the parts to make it do what you want it to.

also, go to your local welding supply and see if you can try a few out. Sometimes they are willing to do this. wouldn't obligate you to buy one from them, but you could get a feel as to whether you will like it or not.

good luck,

jon

I have a Dynasty 200 DX and LOVE IT!!! It has the same capacity of something that 20 years ago was at least 3 times the size. The front panel can be a bit bewildering until you spend a few minutes with the book in the reading room and when at the machine. Beware of anything that as "Econo" anywhere in the name. You can pay less, but you will get less. I have two Miller welders and they are good pieces. The only problems I have experienced are operator related.
If you want to run aluminum, mind the AC polarity balance and frequency - both discussed on this board in the past.

Another thing to consider is electricity; the modern inverter machines use about about 40% less of it than the older rectifier machines at the same output. If you're on a limited capacity line, like house current, you might find that the extra $500 in materials you spend to upgrade your service could have paid for an inverter, not to mention your electric bill. If you're in a shop with 3 phase that might be more of an issue when you factor in the demand charges.

I have a STL at home and Liftarc is just fine. Though I rarely use that machine anymore unless I have a project where I need to go somewhere. I have a little 20CF of argon and off I go.

Interesting thing about the 150 series is that they all use the exact same main board. The only difference between the S and STL is the front control board and the difference between the STL and STH is the front board, a small HF board, and a wire wrapped around the output inductor.

I love miller machines, so easy to work on. Had the last straw last week with lincoln on one of their invertec 350. What a terribly designed POS :mad: A miller XMT 304 has 3 circuit boards, thats it and its an equivalent machine. The invertec has at least 8 boards in it scattered everywhere. And it dosnt even auto switch for different line voltages! Argh!

Sorry.. Had to vent.

Back