What's new
What's new

TIG vs Spool Gun

byawor

Hot Rolled
Having custom diesel tank built from 10 guage aluminum, one guy wants to TIG it another guy says no problem using Mig spoolgun. Which is the better choice?
Bob

Depends, how do you want it to look, are you talking a professional welder with both processes?

As if its custom, I'm assuming its going to be looked at, thus its all in the eye of the beholder. Both processes will get the job done, TIG, In my humble opinion, gives a nicer "look". However, a lot of this look is the welder.

Short answer, it doesn't matter too much, but personally I think a TIG process looks better on the outside.

Depends, how do you want it to look, are you talking a professional welder with both processes?

As if its custom, I'm assuming its going to be looked at, thus its all in the eye of the beholder. Both processes will get the job done, TIG, In my humble opinion, gives a nicer "look". However, a lot of this look is the welder.

Short answer, it doesn't matter too much, but personally I think a TIG process looks better on the outside.

My feelings as well. Either will work but given a choice, especially if looks are a factor, I'd go for the tig welded unit. Put it this way: A "decent" weldor using a tig will produce a better result than a "superb" weldor using a gun. If the guy using the gun is "really" good he can come close to the same result you'll achieve with a tig; if he's only a "decent" weldor the results will likely be inferior to what you'd get with a tig. This applies to both the appearance and integrity of the tank...

My feelings as well. Either will work but given a choice, especially if looks are a factor, I'd go for the tig welded unit. Put it this way: A "decent" weldor using a tig will produce a better result than a "superb" weldor using a gun. If the guy using the gun is "really" good he can come close to the same result you'll achieve with a tig; if he's only a "decent" weldor the results will likely be inferior to what you'd get with a tig. This applies to both the appearance and integrity of the tank...

Hey buddy!!! Boy could I have fun with those comments...

On a serious note.

Having it Tig welded should cost a fair bit more, I can Mig aluminum
4-8 times faster than I can Tig it, depends on part complexity. A good
welder can make a quality product either method. I have Migged things
people thought were Tigged.

No "better" choice.....best choice is having it done by someone that knows what they
are doing......eh?

Mig will be at least 2X as fast. 4x?? 8x ????

Is it a show piece? Will you polish and pinstripe the tank ???

A welder that can use a spool gun should have no problem.....

You can inspect and approve the work before you pay for it and accept it.....I hope??

dk

Guy says he will start with mig on inside welds then do outside tig if I prefer. Seems like a good option. This does not have to be real pretty but decenct would be nice.
Bob

Either can do the job - but the person doing the welding will make the difference. Physical appearance will favor TIG, but the lower welding speed from TIG will probably increase the price.

Do any clean up on the welds before doing a leak test - any weld porosity can become a leak, particularly with diesel fuel. When robotic welding was first used to fabricate steel banjo housings for trucks, there were problems with the MIG welds having pinhole porosity that would show up as leaks even with SAE 90W gear oil - the cure the fabricator used was to paint the weld beads with Loctite sealant.

No "better" choice.....best choice is having it done by someone that knows what they
are doing......eh?

Mig will be at least 2X as fast. 4x?? 8x ????

Is it a show piece? Will you polish and pinstripe the tank ???

A welder that can use a spool gun should have no problem.....

You can inspect and approve the work before you pay for it and accept it.....I hope??

dk

If the tank is a simple rectangular tank all outside welds, yup easy and very fast to weld.

I started welding in the Navy in '85; this machining stuff I am still learnin' welding I
know pretty well, btw, my Mig is a Millermatic 350P and Tig is a Dynasty 300DX. Both
good production machines or I could do either process of the Trailblazer 302D if I had
to do offsite.

Guy says he will start with mig on inside welds then do outside tig if I prefer. Seems like a good option. This does not have to be real pretty but decenct would be nice.
Bob

??? I am confused...
How much inside welding? Is there going to be baffles in the tank?
What is the shape and size of the of the tank, volume?

Look at their work.... It sounds to me like you are comparing welder s, not processes. I would take a pros Mig work over a rookie with a Tig. If both guys are experts, then both can seal a tank and make it look good at the same time. Mig guy should be cheaper. I have a 100 gal. Diamond plate alum truck bed tank that was mig welded. It holds fuel and looked great when new. After 10 years in the back of the truck the last thing noticed is the weld bead... It still holds fuel, but has been used, dinged, weathered, you get my drift.
If you have a guy who can do a good job with his mig for a good price, that would be my choice on a big tank. A small showpiece, I would probably have done with Tig... IF the guy is good. I have seen plenty of people buy a Tig welding machine and confuse ownership of such a devise with actually being able to operate it well.

All the big aluminum tanker trailers are mig welded. If the mig machine has a pulse option you will almost never have to worry about burn though, I have it on my XMT304 and it is pretty great. We have a 350MPa at work and they do all sorts of stuff with that and you get very clean welds.

All the big aluminum tanker trailers are mig welded. If the mig machine has a pulse option you will almost never have to worry about burn though, I have it on my XMT304 and it is pretty great. We have a 350MPa at work and they do all sorts of stuff with that and you get very clean welds.

Macona, you mentioned 350MP ... Is that the lincoln mig machine? That is the machine I want to use the pulse feature to mig carbon steel with silicon bronze wire. I'd use a push pull gun. Are the pulsed mig welds you make pretty? Thanks for any info you can offer. I'm making high end steel furniture that is only clear coated when finished. I'm wanting to switch to SiBr for looks and have determined this is the machine I want.

Macona, you mentioned 350MP ... Is that the lincoln mig machine? That is the machine I want to use the pulse feature to mig carbon steel with silicon bronze wire. I'd use a push pull gun. Are the pulsed mig welds you make pretty? Thanks for any info you can offer. I'm making high end steel furniture that is only clear coated when finished. I'm wanting to switch to SiBr for looks and have determined this is the machine I want.

It is Miller, MillerMatic 350P, the pulse works like a charm, I have one and
love it, it is an inverter and can run off either single or three phase. I
purchased it for my business it ran production for years, still in my shop
for when I need it. I have 30A spoolgun which works very well with the
pulse spray features.

I had the Lincoln Rep bring their PowerMig 350MP to run against it. It
could not match the production rates I was getting out the MM350P but
it did come close and made a respectable showing. The MM350P controls
are easier to use.

Back