What's new
What's new

TIG Welding Copper

Nick Stanley

Aluminum
Hello all,
Has anyone here every TIG welded Phosphorus -Deoxidized copper plate, about 1/8" thick? How difficult is it to weld? The reason I am asking is I've got drawing for a model locomotive boiler that specify TIG welding of the copper plates, and I was wondering if there is anyone out there who has done this. This is a very small boiler, as the grates are only 6" x 4" in size. Thanks.
-Nick

I have welded copper with tig, and it works great. You need a real tig rod- some people use old electrical wire, but you dont know exactly what is in any "mystery metal", so I just buy a pound of real copper tig rod, and I know it will work.

Copper conducts heat like crazy- the work piece will get REALLY hot, so you need to plan your attack with skip welds, taking breaks, and heavy gloves. Good to clamp it well to something heavy so it wont warp while welding.
It also takes a lot of amps- it sucks up the power. I found that my Sycnrowave 250, turned all the way up, would about weld 1/4", but it wasnt gonna go much more than that. I would want at least a 200amp machine to do 1/8".

It also helps to use 100% argon since the electron flow is in a tighter plasma tunnel
Wow, who said I wouldn't learn something new today.
Although using 100% didn't seem to help me weld 1/4" copper enough. That was a real pain in the butt for me and my Idealarc tig 250. I hope your 1/8" works out alot better.

Back