What's new
What's new

Tig welding hardface?

partsproduction

Titanium
A job came in, two saw rollers with back ridges as stops, each of which protrudes outside the roller's surfaces. The rollers are 60 Rc and I suspect they are case hardened.
The customer wants me to build the front edges of the ridges and grind them, which I'd do in the surface grinder using a spin jig.20200715_153018.jpg20200715_153138.jpg
Two questions, what rod to use and can short passes keep the original hardness of the cylindrical rolling areas by moderating heat, maybe 1/2", cool for a time, weld again?

There are many rods that would work, what do you have? There are repair rods for many tool steels that will be in the 50's as welded, then there is HSS rod to get to the 60's. If the parts are case hardened, your weld zone will will be soft. I'm not sure what surface needs welding, but I think you will need to break the corners so you can get to the bottom of the groove. With the tempering from the welding, all wear surfaces will need to be weld metal.

I weld salvage a lot of worn parts, often to put better metallurgy in the wear area. But those parts look like a complete remake would be simpler. Just make the new ones from hardened tool steel will be simpler than case hardening.

unless you do that kind of weld repair daily I would make a new one the needed size. Doesn't look like a very complex part.

Thanks for the o inions. (Keyboard just died, the key to the right of the o doesn't rint.)
those parts look like a complete remake would be simpler.

Yes I was wondering about this, probably du licate the original 8620 and case hardening. Since making that decision I'll leave the answers to the other osts. In all these years I've never experienced the loss of a letter like this, sometimes s ell checker catches it and su lies the letter. Hah hah! Thanks guys

Thanks for the o inions. (Keyboard just died, the key to the right of the o doesn't rint.)

Yes I was wondering about this, probably du licate the original 8620 and case hardening. Since making that decision I'll leave the answers to the other osts. In all these years I've never experienced the loss of a letter like this, sometimes s ell checker catches it and su lies the letter. Hah hah! Thanks guys

"Welcome to our Ool, notice there is no Pee in it."

Are those from a Marvel saw? If so I'm pretty sure you can still get parts for it if you don't have luck welding them.

New laptop. I don't know the brand nor even whether it's a metal, wood or meat saw. He did say they aren't being made anymore. After buying material, paying shipping, making the rolls then sending them out for carburizing and shipping back I guessed at $300-$450, haven't heard back from him yet after leaving the bid on his answering machine.
Thanks again for the answers, except digger. :rolleyes5:

New laptop. I don't know the brand nor even whether it's a metal, wood or meat saw. He did say they aren't being made anymore. After buying material, paying shipping, making the rolls then sending them out for carburizing and shipping back I guessed at $300-$450, haven't heard back from him yet after leaving the bid on his answering machine.
Thanks again for the answers, except digger. :rolleyes5:

What ? You never saw that sign ?
https://www.amazon.com/Poolmaster-R...hvlocphy=&hvtargid=pla-4583589101870873&psc=1

The thanks I get for trying to help.....:D

Back