What's new
What's new

Tight Radius Stainless Bend

dirk

Aluminum
I have a part that requires a inside radius of .105 to .145 on .125" 304 stainless. I have always used air bend to form parts, however to achieve the inside radius ,and there is no way i can get that radius air bending. What would be the best way to achieve the inside radius?
Thanks,
Derrick

That's a pretty sharp radius for stainless. You need to tell us more about what you are doing, the type of equipment, is cracking acceptable, degree of bend such as are you trying to hem the bend, is it an open bend, grain direction.....

Tom

That's a pretty sharp radius for stainless. You need to tell us more about what you are doing, the type of equipment, is cracking acceptable, degree of bend such as are you trying to hem the bend, is it an open bend, grain direction.....

Tom

The material will be formed in a 10' 100 ton press brake, simple 90 deg. bend with a short 1/2" leg. Talked to some urethane die manufacturers today, and both said this was on the high limit for a 2" v pad, but being on 3.75" wide it shouldn't be much of a problem. Only 2 pcs. total to run.

At that width you won't have a problem--a radius of .105 to .145 isn't that tight; a .125 radius top die will put you right in the middle of your range. To get that short leg length you'll need a 3/4" or 7/8" bottom die and tonnage would go up quickly if the part was wider. Here's a handy calculator for working out loads and die sizes when bending...

Accurpress Tonnage Calculator

Back