What's new
What's new

TiMig Fusion

NRDock

Cast Iron
A co worker sent some info regarding TiMig fusion to me today. I've never heard of this. Any idea what's happening here?
It's using Mig wire. The brochure I downloaded says No helmet required. It also says this can be used on 1/4" diameter footed refractory anchors. Typically 310 SS to carbon steel.
TigMig – TiMig Fusion
ih0420-cri-fig5-900.jpg
ih0420-cri-fig6-900.jpg

If im reading it right, your describing a timed MIG plug/slot/spot weld. It Could even be a "melt through" process that has no weld prep involved. It's like a resistance spot weld but with Mig instead of tongs and a fancy power supply. It uses the heat of the Mig weld to fuse through both base metals with no prep. This could be the sized unit that you can carry up into the *various hideous industrial environment* to install * various silly industrial bit* at *silly $/hr rates* for a nominal amount of effort versus "traditional" methods. One could also Dial it into a production line of widgets to make nice happy welds that vanish in post process and lead to cheaper thingymabobs...

The nozzle provides a specific height for each weld, and shields the arc from the operator/environment.
Put the gun over the spot to weld, pull the trigger, ZAP, rinse, repeat.
Depending on the specs required this could be very easy or very hard...

The brochure I downloaded says No helmet required.

No welding helmet/shaded eye protection is probably fine for the insulation bale installs, but if just mounting brackets alone the demo film shows enough visible arc that I'd want good UV protection for exposed skin and eyes.

Does look handy for a fair amount of pad welding applications outside of insulation installs. I wonder what the cost is for a typical setup?

If im reading it right, your describing a timed MIG plug/slot/spot weld. It Could even be a "melt through" process that has no weld prep involved. It's like a resistance spot weld but with Mig instead of tongs and a fancy power supply. It uses the heat of the Mig weld to fuse through both base metals with no prep. This could be the sized unit that you can carry up into the *various hideous industrial environment* to install * various silly industrial bit* at *silly $/hr rates* for a nominal amount of effort versus "traditional" methods. One could also Dial it into a production line of widgets to make nice happy welds that vanish in post process and lead to cheaper thingymabobs...

The nozzle provides a specific height for each weld, and shields the arc from the operator/environment.
Put the gun over the spot to weld, pull the trigger, ZAP, rinse, repeat.
Depending on the specs required this could be very easy or very hard...
That's what it looks like to me as well.

Which is exactly what John Deere developed in the late 1960's and wrote up (for a Lincoln Award) in one of their books.

Punched hole or no punched hole, the nozzles were custom made for stand off, and timers did all the "heavy lifting".

I didnt see the video the first time through lol

It's a fancy suitcase wire feed with special custom made nozzles and torches. If that is your kind of work, it might be worth it if you have a large workforce of varying skill...
Given some of the features in most inverters (like the one they hooked it up to one...) now a days, you can program it to do some of those functions from the factory... Building custom torches and nozzles and what not might be a bit trickier, but not impossible.
If its just you/a small well trained crew, you could likely program similar results out of stuff built into the machine.

I missed the video too. Thanks for pointing it out.
I have a long history of design and procurement of refractory materials and installation. Never would accept stud welded anchors, but I do think they have something here.

A Lot of the issues you could have with stud welded stuff you could have with this thing as well... + a whole new can of worms because its an arc welding process.
Any of the "blind faith" welding processes/techniques(stud, resistance spot, mig like this thing...) rely a fair bit on operator "give a damn" to work right. When you have a person making a weld, they can see and adjust to whats going on. With this thing and or stud welding, you need to make sure that All sorts of things are in proper order before you can get decent welds. You have to make Sure that the condition of the torch, various arc related consumables, the leads, grounding and all sorts of other issues are properly sorted and easily managed by a workforce that wants to go home and play Xbox...
If this thing needs feedback from the ground to work right, things can get messy quick...

Back