What's new
What's new

Tire Shredder Cutter Head Info

blake in spokane

Hot Rolled
Has anybody worked on one of these. What material for cutter body & replacement knives, cutter clearences ? IMG_0140.jpgIMG_0140.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_0138.jpg
    IMG_0138.jpg
    93.6 KB · Views: 143
Nope, but you're going to want pretty damn hard cutters to get through the high-tensile (around 300Ksi) steel wire beads. So a tough, hard, wear-resistant steel, perhaps D2?

But consult some of the better tool steel suppliers for other suggestions. And maybe Carbidebob might have a suggestion for an impact-rated carbide that could be inserted in a softer steel body if the customer wanted a longer lived (hopefully) choice at higher cost.

Check out this page for some thoughts: Crucible Tool Steel and Specialty Alloy General Information So maybe D7 and powder metal specialty alloys are worth looking into. And get the current cutters XRF'd to find out what they are.

I once made a lot of components for a tire shredder.....on a cash before delivery basis on each roller /cutter.......the bearing supply company foolishly gave them credit,........however tempis fugit ,and lately Ive heard that car tires dont have wire in them ,carbon fibre ,kevlar etc........I do know on my effort the whole thing was wrapped in wire until the motor overloads went ,or a coupling broke.I also know the shredder group went broke ....or maybe just drowned in a mountain of tires they had agreed to take.......So the whole caboodle went up in smoke .......lots of it,and very black............So ,experts ,are tires now zero steel and burnable in a cement kiln?

I ask because the guy I did the work for has been in tire recycling for some 40 years......I use the term "generically"......hes made a great deal of money over the years being two jumps ahead of the law..........anyhoo ,his last major effort ,resulted in 20 acres of tyres and a complex company structure based in Panama......Recently the state seized the land after a long court battle ,and had the tires removed .....it was reported that the car tires could be burnt in a cement clinker kiln,but the truck tyres had to be shredded,due to steel content.....so I wondered.

Back