What's new
What's new

Turning water cooler on for TIG torch.

AAA

Aluminum
We just got a water cooler for our TIG welder, and water cooled torch. The cooler just has a regular 110 plug on it and no on off switch.
Any good way to hook it up so that when the welder is switched on the cooler turns on?
I'm concerned someone is going to forget to turn the cooler on and fry it.
Suggestions welcome.

Hello,

I added a contactor to power up a 110 v outlet when the welder comes on. I burned up a set of hoses because I forgot to turn on the pump. Easier to due than you think !
My new welder already has an outlet for this use.

Brian

I have two Miller welders with 120vac plug-ins for the cooler....that said, when using HF/AC on the high end I plug into a different outlet cuz I've blown the 80 amp breaker a few times welding heavy aluminum....(needs more amp breaker) but keeps water flowing when the main breaker blows.....

The old syncrowaves had a switched 110 volt outlet, so they automatically turned on the radiator when the welder was running.

But on my newer inverter, I have to just "remember".

I know, its old school- nobody does that anymore. But it does still work, most of the time.
My older Radiator 1 that I have on my syncrowave, has a power switch, but I just leave it on all the time, and let my Syncrowave turn it on and off.

My newer Coolmate 3 came with a power switch- I thought all Miller coolant pumps did.
I have to remember to turn it on when I turn on the welder. Its easy to remember to turn it off, as it makes so much noise, and when you turn off the welder, you can hear it.

I suggest a switched outlet, or a switched power cable- a computer type plug strip with a switch would work.
Then, maybe a sign on the front of the welder reminding people to turn it on.

That's what we have at the moment - a sign.

I read through the Thermal Arc service manual, and it appears there's something I might be able to use where the remote foot switch connects (basically a pin on the connect that supplys 12 volts when the machine is turned on, that can be used to power a relay to turn the 110 for the cooler on.

swiched plug

I have a lincoln precision 275 and it has an outlet on the back of the machine thats switched for the cooler. Now I just need the cooler, to be honest I'm so used to air cooled torches that it really dosen't bother me that much.

Shaun

Might have to add - build it into the cooler but a simple relay also powered of the gas solenoid valve seams easiest to me. A small phono or similar jack in the inverter that the cooler plugs into for a signal only. If you want to get flashy than a timed delay off switching relay to cool the latent heat in the cables - torch would probably be the ultimate.

I just built a water cooler for my TIG and I switch it on when I turn on the TIG and leave it running till I turn off the Tig. The pump makes a high pitch whining noise so no problem about forgetting to turn it off.

My Miller Syncrowave has two 15 amp 110 V receptacles. I use a Bernard 2500 cooler with my TIG and it's on whenever I use the welder. I remove it when I do stick welding. It's wise to have the cooler on at all times when TIG welding. If you forget, you will be needing another TIG torch.

There's barely enough room in a Miller Dynasty 200 for a 110V outlet (and protective 15A fuse). Our shop is wired 3 phase 208V with neutral + gnd (5 conductor), so picking one of the switched legs, neutral and ground for a 110V outlet on the back of the Dynasty works. The 110V outlet is switched by the power switch on the welder.

However, the damn Coolmate 1 fan makes a horrible racket. TIG welding is such a calm, quiet process that the fan ends up sounding extra loud.

I've been tempted to put a thermostat in the coolmate to control the fan, only turning on when the coolant reaches a setpoint. Something like mcmaster # 1846K29

If you specify the welder, I will check to see if a manual is on the web, and what sort of options/facility was offered to control a cooler.

Are you doing this with a pedal? Perhaps a switch with a time delay "off" could be added/piggybacked?

One solution would be to make a small sub panel on the wall that has a disconnect switch wired to the welder outlet and a 110 outlet for the cooler.

The cooler switch (if it has one) can be bypassed so it is on whenever plugged into an outlet.

When the disconnect switch is on the cooler is on and the power to the inverter is on.

Important thing is with such an arrangement the welder can't be powered up without the cooler being on.

Chris

There's barely enough room in a Miller Dynasty 200 for a 110V outlet (and protective 15A fuse). Our shop is wired 3 phase 208V with neutral + gnd (5 conductor), so picking one of the switched legs, neutral and ground for a 110V outlet on the back of the Dynasty works. The 110V outlet is switched by the power switch on the welder.

However, the damn Coolmate 1 fan makes a horrible racket. TIG welding is such a calm, quiet process that the fan ends up sounding extra loud.

I've been tempted to put a thermostat in the coolmate to control the fan, only turning on when the coolant reaches a setpoint. Something like mcmaster # 1846K29

On a coolmate 1 the fan is on the same shaft as the pump. Stop one, you stop both.

Ahh, didnt know they brought back the Coolmate 1 name. The original coolmate 1 uses a dual shaft motor with a gear pump on one side.

I have a Lincoln precision 275, also. Less than 2 years old. It has (2) 110v plugs in on the back. One is full time and the other is on-demand for a cooler.

JAckal:cheers:

When I bought my welder used in 1981 it had a piece of tygon tubing pushed on the on / off switch on the welder, the other end of the tubing was pushed on the toggle switch on the cooler. This makes it easy to remember the cooler. That said I remember using that welder at Kawasaki R&D before I bought it and thinking how mickey mouse it was and if it was mine the first thing I would do is put a switched outlet on the welder. I'm still going to do it.......mabe.......one of these days......when I get around to it. Meanwhile the tygon tube still works.

Back