Unibit Stepbit conspiracy theory - Page 4
Close
Login to Your Account
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

The genuine Unibit was invented and manufactured in Wyoming, NY by Harry C. Oakes in the early seventies and was made of quality material and was heat treated and ground with precision.
    In 1985 he sold the Unibit rights to Peterson(Vise Grips)in Nebraska and it was made there for quite a few years with the same quality.
    After the patent ran out it was copied by many and the genuine Unibit was eventually shipped overseas.
    I worked at the plant as it was being sold right out of high school and was able to work with the old timers that made the first bits. Many of them moved to Nebraska to keep a job.
    The old USA made Unibits are far superior to what a Unibit is now, just like Vise Grips.
    The first original Unibits did not have a hex shank but rather had a round shank with a single "upset" pressed into the shaft to keep it from spinning in chuck. If you see one of these at a yard sale buy it and sharpen and it will do work.
    I still remember seeing dozens of five gallon buckets full of new rejected Unibits that were slightly out of tolerance that were being scrapped. Wish I had one of those buckets now.

2. Likes alexhawker, dkmc, rcoope liked this post
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Pennsylvania
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

WMF,
    Thank you for that write up.

Why do the cheap imports have 2 flutes ?

Seem to work better IMHO

Also, you mentioned a single flat instead of a hex, doesn't
    that cause un-even loading on a Jacobs chuck when tightened ?

Country
    CHINA
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Mud View Post
    Now I'm sure I saw a unibit being used on the second floor of the Dallas Schoolbook Depository that fateful day in Nov. '63.
    uh-hunh. And what were you doing there, might I ask ? You weren't one of the Two Tramps, were you ?

5. Likes Mud liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by SeaMoss View Post
    uh-hunh. And what were you doing there, might I ask ? You weren't one of the Two Tramps, were you ?
    School field trip. And those were our chaperones. It will all come out in the document dump next week.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by digger doug View Post
    WMF,
    Thank you for that write up.

Also, you mentioned a single flat instead of a hex, doesn't
    that cause un-even loading on a Jacobs chuck when tightened ?
    It's not a flat, It is a displacement of metal projected OUT from the shank diameter.

Upstate NY -In the Flats next to the corn fields
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I went to that shop...a garage, or next to a home at any rate....with another PM member years ago.
    I think there were some machines and tooling left, a couple multi-spindle screw machines perhaps. Possibly selling off in an estate situation. It was years ago now, details escape me.

Quote Originally Posted by wmf View Post
    The genuine Unibit was invented and manufactured in Wyoming, NY by Harry C. Oakes in the early seventies and was made of quality material and was heat treated and ground with precision.
    In 1985 he sold the Unibit rights to Peterson(Vise Grips)in Nebraska and it was made there for quite a few years with the same quality.
    After the patent ran out it was copied by many and the genuine Unibit was eventually shipped overseas.
    I worked at the plant as it was being sold right out of high school and was able to work with the old timers that made the first bits. Many of them moved to Nebraska to keep a job.
    The old USA made Unibits are far superior to what a Unibit is now, just like Vise Grips.
    The first original Unibits did not have a hex shank but rather had a round shank with a single "upset" pressed into the shaft to keep it from spinning in chuck. If you see one of these at a yard sale buy it and sharpen and it will do work.
    I still remember seeing dozens of five gallon buckets full of new rejected Unibits that were slightly out of tolerance that were being scrapped. Wish I had one of those buckets now.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

"typical small drill press has low speed of 500 rpm for normal 1/2" hss drill and obviously you would be going too fast with a 1" dia unibit "

Yup, one of the big things to look at when buying a cheap drill press. If it's a 1/2" press with a lowest speed of 500rpm and a top speed of 1500, it's pretty much useless. Not enough speed range to be of a lot of use. I jumped on a cheapo 18speed press that ranges from 240-4200rpms.