What's new
What's new

using gas with flux core

Joe Miranda

Titanium
I have read that guys are using CO2 with their flux core set up for improved weld appearance and wire deposition. Have any of you guys tried it and if so is it worth it? Thanks.

I have used both the Dual shield flux core to be used with Co2 only and the Dual shield flux core to be used with C-25 prefer the C-25 Dual shield flux core, probably burned 2-3 ton of it over the years. Reverse polarity for both!

Last edited:
What do you mean when you say "flux core"? There are innershield wires and there are dual shield wires, both have flux core, what are you talking about?
If you are thinking on using gas with innershield would you use gas with stick welding? Dual shield type wires are the only ones to use gas with, and the welds come out beautiful, but so do my innershield welds
(also called self shielding wire)
And like digger said above polarity is different for the two types of wire.

How powerful is your machine? .045 is way more common and easier/cheaper to make. I use pretty much 2 wires, both esab. Coreshield 15 (similar to your 211) and dual shield 7100 ultra. The 7100 can use either straight co2 or mix gas, both in .045 larger jobs may see 1/16" 7100 but I dont really see much difference than the .045. Other common one I use would be 1/16" coreshield 8 but only for structural in windy environment.

How powerful is your machine? .045 is way more common and easier/cheaper to make. I use pretty much 2 wires, both esab. Coreshield 15 (similar to your 211) and dual shield 7100 ultra. The 7100 can use either straight co2 or mix gas, both in .045 larger jobs may see 1/16" 7100 but I dont really see much difference than the .045. Other common one I use would be 1/16" coreshield 8 but only for structural in windy environment.
Small, 180amps.

Small, 180amps.

Lincoln does make an 0.035 in their Outershield 71M line. I haven't used it yet though.

One word of caution on switching to any type of solid shielded method of welding in enclosed spaces such as a shop (flux core, dual shield, stick welding) -- think strongly about getting a smoke evacuation system or a PAPR. Cancer sucks. Go to google scholar or PubMed if you don't believe me.

You might need a bit more of a machine to get a dual shield to play right...
Minimum recommended Lincoln? Back story is that I've been approached about ornamental iron work, gates and such. Some will be pretty heavy and reduced splatter is always nice so I thought I'd see if I could move to Dualshield.

I know esab makes the 7100 ultra in .035. Might barely work, try to get a 10 lb spool or will your machine only take 8" spools?
My friend runs a BPVC shop. Maybe I could borrow some gas and wire to give it a try.

I would try the coreshield 15 first. I do a lot of ornamental work and it is what I mainly use. Dualshield can be funny and when there is spatter it does not come off easy, usually a grinder is needed. Also the cup gets in the way of getting into tight spaces. The coreshield 15 does have spatter but the majority of it wipes off with a glove, when you run a wire wheel over the finished panels the rest is almost always gone. The tip without the gas cup makes it so much easier to see the weld and get into small spaces. Core15 is way better than 211

Back