What's new
What's new

Water jet - single phase, 48"x48" approx, exists?

Lewistech

Plastic
Hello,

I'm looking to add a small water jet to my home shop. Light duty work. Four foot approximately but I am a bit flexible there. I can't seem to find anything online. Anyone have any experience with a machine like this. Do they exist or are they just rare?

I've already seen the youTube video of DIYing one from a pressure washer and that does not interest me. If I were to DIY a machine I would build the frame and motion control, but buy the pump, head, etc, purpose built, but that doesn't get around my single phase power issue.

Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks in advance.

You'll probably need to use a VFD or other method to generate 3ph power for you waterjet. I think you need to see what waterjets will work for your budget, then plan the power conversion as needed. I'd expect at least a 10kW draw, but maybe you can get something lower.

You would think....an engineer would post their requirements for pump size.....:crazy:

The gantry draws minimal power.

"Light duty" cutting styrofoam ?

Or 1" plate ?

FWIW there was a posting here a few years back
about a waterjet run with a tractor PTO.

You did consult the search function first, didn't you ?

Yeah, I am aware of power conversion methods that are available. I'm just trying to make sure there isn't a way to avoid them before I start spending extra money on them.

Yes, I have been searching around. Nothing I have seen yet, including PTO power, is what I am looking for. I would like an electric system.

Light duty means the lower end of the power spectrum. I am not asking you to spec me a machine, maybe just a link, or the name of a manufacturer. I will research the rest on my own. I'm not sure if you intended your comment to imply that my omission of details is an indication of incompetence but I can assure you that is not the case. You don't need to know the exact wattage I'm looking for to tell me if a range of machine even exists.

Maxiem 1515 is what we have here at work. Cut size is 5'2" X 5' 2". Not sure if it can be set up to run on single phase.

Yeah, those look like the size machine I am looking for. I have an email out to them now to see if they have a single phase option. They don't seem to have power details on thier website. I am doubtful the have single phase. I think I am looking for a unicorn here.

I can't see on the Omax spec sheets that any model lines are single phase. Would you mind pointing out which ones do please?

Come up with how many horsepower you are able to run and just put a transformer/Phase Perfect in and start calling around to see if anyone makes them that small. I got an email the other day PP has a new one out that does 240v single to 480 3 phase. They list them for up to 30hp so that is the on the small size of pumps. My 30hp PP is fed with a 200A breaker.

I have a 200 amp single phase panel available for the machine. Our Canadian single phase voltage is about 10% lower, I think so I don't know if that is an issue with compatibility/availability.

I'm aware of these types of solutions, I am just making sure that I need to spend that extra money before I do. Thanks for the input.

Any particular reason you can't run a rotary phase converter or a VFD? Do you not have them already for your other machines?

Just trying to avoid the extra cost. I use VFDs on my other machines, but they are significantly smaller in terms of amperage than even a small water jet pump.

Also, if a company had a single phase machine, I would think they were directing their marketing/design at a home-gamer crowd which may have other advantages for residential that I hadn't even considered yet. I would just feel dumb if I went out and did this "conversion" and six month later realized there was a company that made what I was after. I'm really thinking it doesn't exist, maybe it is a business opportunity

I have a request for information out to that company. I don't see on their website spec sheets any that list as single phase. If you can point that out I will bow to your Google skills. Otherwise...

Going through the exercise myself right now for a WJ for my home shop. Looking at an Omax 5555 or 55100. From what I know, talking to them about the power last week they are all 3 phase unless you buy their ProtoMax Machine. It is plug and play using a 5 HP motor.

Not sure on the power requirements for the Maxiem Line.

Going through the exercise myself right now for a WJ for my home shop. Looking at an Omax 5555 or 55100. From what I know, talking to them about the power last week they are all 3 phase unless you buy their ProtoMax Machine. It is plug and play using a 5 HP motor.

Not sure on the power requirements for the Maxiem Line.

Yeah all the Maxiems seem to be 3 phase from all the literature I can find.

I had not come across the Protomax. Thank you for that. I need about 4 times the xy travel but I am maybe I can get the pump and head like the Protomax and build my own table.

Generally speaking, the availability of single phase motors is up to 5hp. There are some 7.5hp available, but much bigger than that, its pretty rare.
The smallest water jet machines I have seen, things like the little WardJet 2' x 4' machine, use 30hp motors. The majority of waterjets are more in the 50hp and up range.

WARDJet - A-Series Waterjet Cutting Machines

Theoretically, you could have one custom made, I suppose- from someplace like this- 3 HP Single-Phase Motor - Single Phase Power Solutions
but it would most likely not be optimium for the high pressure pump, and of course it would void all warranties, and require custom made adaptors and mounts.
And, require at least a 100 amp breaker.

Its going to be cheaper, easier, more reliable, and faster, to just buy an off the shelf 3 phase machine, and get a phase perfect or similar 3 phase converter.

Generally speaking, the availability of single phase motors is up to 5hp. There are some 7.5hp available, but much bigger than that, its pretty rare.
The smallest water jet machines I have seen, things like the little WardJet 2' x 4' machine, use 30hp motors. The majority of waterjets are more in the 50hp and up range.

WARDJet - A-Series Waterjet Cutting Machines

Theoretically, you could have one custom made, I suppose- from someplace like this- 3 HP Single-Phase Motor - Single Phase Power Solutions
but it would most likely not be optimium for the high pressure pump, and of course it would void all warranties, and require custom made adaptors and mounts.
And, require at least a 100 amp breaker.

Its going to be cheaper, easier, more reliable, and faster, to just buy an off the shelf 3 phase machine, and get a phase perfect or similar 3 phase converter.

Yeah, I agree, there is likely going to be a phase converter in my future.

That Protomax really has me thinking though. It shows it cutting stainless. 30,000 PSI, on 5HP from 220 single. That would do what I need if it had the travel. It's gotta be marketing fluff or a IPM approaching zero or some other thing I am missing right?

It's limited to 1" thick material, although I guess it will do more if you're working with soft materials: ProtoMAX - The First High Performance Personal Abrasive Waterjet And at only 30ksi, it's going to be slower than the bigger machines, but on the plus side I think it cuts a narrower kerf. That might require a finer abrasive than normal, not sure.

Just double-checked, looks like it uses the standard .030" mixing tube. It's the MicroMax that uses a smaller orifice and tube. FWIW, the Protomax has worse positioning and repeatability numbers than the "regular" machines.

Last edited:

Back