What's new
What's new

water rust and foam?

Phil in Mt

Cast Iron
I have been building a jeep from a pile of old parts, The frame I used was boxed from the front to the back (82 cj5) The low parts of the frame were real rusty and I had to cut the bad parts out and weld in new iron. What I am thinking about doing is to filling the box in with the spray foam you use to set doors and windows. I am thinking that the foam will coat the steel and stop dirt and water from filling the box full and starting the rusting all over agin. The test I done on the foam it seems to be closed cell and does not hold water. the only down side is if I would have to weld on the frame after the foam is sprayed in. Anyone have a better plan?...Phil in Mt

Paint it with a good paint after all the welding is done. Something like a machine type alkyd enamel would probably be good. That stuff is resistant to most chemicals.

There is no real way to clean the inside so paint will stick, and the only way to spray inside the box is thru 3/4 hole that are drilled oddly in the sides of the box. I have used high pressure water to wash the dirt out after I cut out the bad spots.....Phil in Mt

Why can't you spray the foam in after you do the welding. Just use a reeeeealy long straw on the can, or drill a couple of very tiny holes in the frame to allow the straw inside.

Last edited:
Spray Waxoyl or similar product. Eastwood sells it as "Heavy Duty Anti Rust". It's an emulsion of waxes in a solvent that dries to form a barrier to moisture.

I've heard u can use paraffin and kerosene warmed to melt and spray that in, but I'd stick with one of the commercial products. They aren't that expensive.

All of the household foams I've seen are moisture catalyzed urethane. The get away with calling them "green" because it doesn't use VOC's for solvents.

Urethane is a not-so-scary name for polyisocyanurate. The word cyanide is hidden in there somewhere and that is what comes out when you burn it. Welding over a filled area would be a not-so-green problem.

I like the idea of a wax/solvent coating. McMaster used to sell a metal preservative called SP400 in a green spray can. I think it also comes in quarts. Can't remember the manufacturer - maybe CRC. That stuff lasted forever. It also seemed to stay in your lungs forever if you got a whiff while spraying it. Wear a respirator.

Back