What's new
What's new

Waterjet price questions

plutoniumsalmon

Hot Rolled
Hello.
We are in the process of trying to buy a waterjet. We are getting quotes for new 5x10 machines at around 140-200k. Can you please tell me what part of the machine is so expensive? I am looking at omax maxien machines and they dont look more complex or more robust than a cheapish cnc router? Is it the pump? I ask this because I want to know where the cost lies. I have an lb 3000 lathe and that thing at 160k is built like a tank.

Thank you.

$140-200K..??? I never guessed they're that cheap. :willy_nilly:

Apparently you never got a quote on a 6 KW fiber laser. They run from $500-800K depending on the brand and configuration. Even a hi-definition plasma is ballpark $200K.

I wouldn't complain. At all.

yep some decent sizes start 150K and many are in the 300K range. plus when a pump can hit 75,000PSI, it takes a ton of metal to hold that in and make that pressure.

I thought my EDM machines were expensive to maintain until I got an abrasive waterjet. Expect approximately $30 per hour not including the operator to run it. They are also very dirty so walling off your shop might be important to you. That being said, we absolutely love our Wardjet waterjet. It has opened up a lot of business for us cutting stainless food grade and aluminum. Accustream is great for rebuild parts for all brands.

Make sure you get a table big enough for your desired sheet size. You don't want to be cutting down sheets before hand. I recommend no less than 5 ft. by 10 ft. Automatic height sensor to automatically adjusts the height of the cutting head when material warps is essential if you ask me. Also a high pressure gauge reading the water pressure just upstream of the nozzle is another great option. A compact utility tractor with a large bucket and two guys with a strong back comes in handy every 600 hours of operation to clean out the slugs and spent abrasive.

Waterjet Cutter | Waterjet Machines | Metal Cutter

Waterjet Parts and Waterjet Cutting Machines | AccuStream

I thought my EDM machines were expensive to maintain until I got an abrasive waterjet. Expect approximately $30 per hour not including the operator to run it. They are also very dirty so walling off your shop might be important to you. That being said, we absolutely love our Wardjet waterjet. It has opened up a lot of business for us cutting stainless food grade and aluminum. Accustream is great for rebuild parts for all brands.

Make sure you get a table big enough for your desired sheet size. You don't want to be cutting down sheets before hand. I recommend no less than 5 ft. by 10 ft. Automatic height sensor to automatically adjusts the height of the cutting head when material warps is essential if you ask me. Also a high pressure gauge reading the water pressure just upstream of the nozzle is another great option. A compact utility tractor with a large bucket and two guys with a strong back comes in handy every 600 hours of operation to clean out the slugs and spent abrasive.

Waterjet Cutter | Waterjet Machines | Metal Cutter

Waterjet Parts and Waterjet Cutting Machines | AccuStream

Thank you. Getting quotes from them now. Don't know if I need a 5 axis head or a step up from a 30 hp pump. Coming in at around 150 with the 5x10 bed.

It would also be a good idea to check into what you're going to do with the swarf generated. One company I contracted at had many barrels of it that couldn't be simply taken to the local dump due to local ordinance regulations and didn't want to pay for proper disposal. Another large company I contracted at would pay for the services of another company to pump out the debris and dispose of it. They used the WJ all day every day for 2 shifts. Pump-out was a nasty job and seemed to take half a day once or twice a year as I recall. Better figure that into your operating costs.

We have a Techni that is about 1-1/2 years old that has worked out great. It's used for cutting everything we can think of as we do mostly architectural work. Mine was in the 200k range which was a big leap of faith to buy something that expensive(for me) but it's been totally worth it. Ours is closed loop so the water is constantly recycled and filtered back to the pump and we also bought an Xtractor which sucks out the garnet when the tank starts to fill up. I would never shovel it out as it's not cost effective, I just run the Xtractor while I'm cutting stuff and it does the job well. I have never drained the tank since I've had it but I am sure that will have to happen at some point to collect all the dropped pieces that are waste.
One of the biggest reasons I went with this machine was the ability to walk away from it and work on other things as I also run the machine at night(lights out) if we are cutting thick plate and a long cut program. The machine will stop if it encounters a problem like water/garnet flow issues or a blocked nozzle. The longest cut program I've done is 40 hours non stop which worked a treat.
The only thing I would suggest is get the biggest table you can as it's nice to be able to set up another job while one is cutting and this will increase your efficiency considerably.
Good luck

Like others have said pump and controls are the majority of the cost. We have had a few over the years and have been very impressed with our wardjet. Fairly cheap and very impressed with the tolerances held.

Back