Waterjet Tank Temperatures
Close
Login to Your Account
Likes Likes:  0
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Waterjet Tank Temperatures

Lately I've done a couple of projects where the machine is cutting for long periods of time and of course the tank gets pretty hot which I would imagine could alter the tolerances of the machine. It got me wondering if anyone out there who does a lot of cutting makes an effort to control the water/machine temperature. I've seen pictures of companies doing seriously thick plate cutting which must take all day and night to complete and I would guess the plate would grow from it's cold state altering the tolerance of the part.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by alexf View Post
    Lately I've done a couple of projects where the machine is cutting for long periods of time and of course the tank gets pretty hot which I would imagine could alter the tolerances of the machine. It got me wondering if anyone out there who does a lot of cutting makes an effort to control the water/machine temperature. I've seen pictures of companies doing seriously thick plate cutting which must take all day and night to complete and I would guess the plate would grow from it's cold state altering the tolerance of the part.
    Given the tolerances we typically aim for on our WJ, tank temp has never noticeably altered our finished blanks. We do however filter and reuse our tank water for cutting (Through a multi stage ebco filtration system) we then run the scrubbed water through a large chiller before it goes to the intensifier pump. You don't want your pump getting too toasty...

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

On my globalmax the temperature of the tank water can't actually directly affect it - the machine kinematics aren't actually in contact with the tank. (As the water heats it would of course heat the environment around it, and that would eventually matter...)

As noted above *intake* temp matters - it affects pump life and so on.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Waterjet cutting creates quite a bit of heat actually. Comp must be done on large cuts. The plate will stretch.