What's new
What's new

weird sinking weld beads

psandherr

Plastic
weld1.jpg

Anyone ever seen weld beads like this?

They are like sinking on the tube looks like icecream scoops.

Yep excessive heat, reduce amperage or add more filler and move faster. If thats not the welders first ever weld, they need to either go back to weld school or lay of the drugs!

Its impressive they managed to make welds that sunken though with out blowing holes, theres clearly some skill showing there even if its not good skills!

Excessive heat, it’s just penetrating inside the tube.

Yup, you're just at the point where the weld is starting to blow out. Just a little more heat and instead of sagging welds you'll
have holes. Turn your heat down and do some more practice...

Yep excessive heat, reduce amperage or add more filler and move faster. If thats not the welders first ever weld, they need to either go back to weld school or lay of the drugs!

Its impressive they managed to make welds that sunken though with out blowing holes, theres clearly some skill showing there even if its not good skills!

You got in just before me--said the same thing I did with twice as many words. :D As to the degree of sag I agree about the talent (?). I think I'd be hard-
pressed to run that hot without blowing a bunch of holes in the bead...

Looks like they started out too hot (or slow! Look at the wide HAZ) and then backed down for the majority of the bead. Looks like a lack of tempo is also present; a laywire technique and a metronome or automatic pulse may help the welder develop a rhythm.

The other side of the gusset was welded at a higher amperage and same amount of filler and was fine. When he flipped it over it started to sink so he turned the amps down more and more but it still sinks and just generally doesn't want to stick. It was cleaned and prepped perfectly too.

Here is the other side

Weld good.jpg

The other side of the gusset was welded at a higher amperage and same amount of filler and was fine. When he flipped it over it started to sink so he turned the amps down more and more but it still sinks and just generally doesn't want to stick. It was cleaned and prepped perfectly too.

Here is the other side

View attachment 219739

Did he wait for it to cool before he started on the other side?

That looks like a race car wishbone. If it is scrap it and get a welder who knows what he /she is doing, safety critical parts are not for amateurs. In my opinion the "good" side looks like crap also.

And someone that can inspect for a faulty weld as well.....

Blind leading the blind.....Pretty sad state of affairs of our
educational system these days.

Yet anouther classic example of why people bring me stuff to weld!!! I may not be coded, the weld may or may not need x raying, but suck me that should look so damn beutiful, a nice lap weld joint like that is about as easy as it gets.

Yet anouther classic example of why people bring me stuff to weld!!! I may not be coded, the weld may or may not need x raying, but suck me that should look so damn beutiful, a nice lap weld joint like that is about as easy as it gets.

As bad as that is I can't imagine posting it for all the world to see. Looks like he has about 2 hours experience with TIG, maybe less than that!

Back