weird sinking weld beads
Close
Login to Your Account
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 37
  1. #1
    Join Date
    Nov 2016
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Michigan
    Posts
    23
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    5
    Likes (Received)
    0

    Question weird sinking weld beads

    weld1.jpg

    Anyone ever seen weld beads like this?

    They are like sinking on the tube looks like icecream scoops.

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Location
    Cerritos, CA
    Posts
    329
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    111
    Likes (Received)
    132

    Default

    Excessive heat, it’s just penetrating inside the tube.

  3. Likes B-Mathews liked this post
  4. #3
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    uk
    Posts
    12,618
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    3563
    Likes (Received)
    5682

    Default

    Yep excessive heat, reduce amperage or add more filler and move faster. If thats not the welders first ever weld, they need to either go back to weld school or lay of the drugs!

    Its impressive they managed to make welds that sunken though with out blowing holes, theres clearly some skill showing there even if its not good skills!

  5. Likes Monarchist liked this post
  6. #4
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Langley, B.C.
    Posts
    1,334
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    252
    Likes (Received)
    754

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Lanso View Post
    Excessive heat, it’s just penetrating inside the tube.
    Yup, you're just at the point where the weld is starting to blow out. Just a little more heat and instead of sagging welds you'll
    have holes. Turn your heat down and do some more practice...

  7. Likes digger doug liked this post
  8. #5
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Langley, B.C.
    Posts
    1,334
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    252
    Likes (Received)
    754

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by adama View Post
    Yep excessive heat, reduce amperage or add more filler and move faster. If thats not the welders first ever weld, they need to either go back to weld school or lay of the drugs!

    Its impressive they managed to make welds that sunken though with out blowing holes, theres clearly some skill showing there even if its not good skills!
    You got in just before me--said the same thing I did with twice as many words. As to the degree of sag I agree about the talent (?). I think I'd be hard-
    pressed to run that hot without blowing a bunch of holes in the bead...

  9. #6
    Join Date
    Sep 2017
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Wisconsin
    Posts
    192
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    1
    Likes (Received)
    71

    Default

    Looks like they started out too hot (or slow! Look at the wide HAZ) and then backed down for the majority of the bead. Looks like a lack of tempo is also present; a laywire technique and a metronome or automatic pulse may help the welder develop a rhythm.

  10. #7
    Join Date
    Sep 2002
    Location
    gloucester ma
    Posts
    1,831
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    67
    Likes (Received)
    1280

    Default

    the right most is fusion welded, no filler then they seemed to remember filler....

  11. #8
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Pennsylvania
    Posts
    10,354
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    17406
    Likes (Received)
    5409

    Default

    Next time, have the student use a helmet.....

  12. Likes PlasmaOnTheBrain liked this post
  13. #9
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Davidson NC USA
    Posts
    1,345
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    443
    Likes (Received)
    772

    Default

    Only a rookie welder wears low quarter shoes while stick welding. Please don't ask how I know this. Regards, Clark

  14. Likes PlasmaOnTheBrain liked this post
  15. #10
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Tustin, CA
    Posts
    235
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    115
    Likes (Received)
    48

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by sealark37 View Post
    Only a rookie welder wears low quarter shoes while stick welding. Please don't ask how I know this. Regards, Clark
    Except that's not stick, so it doesn't really matter. I weld in skate shoes and shorts all the time.

  16. #11
    Join Date
    Nov 2016
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Michigan
    Posts
    23
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    5
    Likes (Received)
    0

    Default

    The other side of the gusset was welded at a higher amperage and same amount of filler and was fine. When he flipped it over it started to sink so he turned the amps down more and more but it still sinks and just generally doesn't want to stick. It was cleaned and prepped perfectly too.

    Here is the other side


    weld-good.jpg

  17. #12
    Join Date
    Dec 2015
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Illinois
    Posts
    138
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    41
    Likes (Received)
    82

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by psandherr View Post
    The other side of the gusset was welded at a higher amperage and same amount of filler and was fine. When he flipped it over it started to sink so he turned the amps down more and more but it still sinks and just generally doesn't want to stick. It was cleaned and prepped perfectly too.

    Here is the other side


    weld-good.jpg

    Did he wait for it to cool before he started on the other side?

  18. Likes digger doug, sfriedberg liked this post
  19. #13
    Join Date
    Sep 2017
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Wisconsin
    Posts
    192
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    1
    Likes (Received)
    71

    Default

    That was my immediate thought as well...

  20. #14
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    marysville ohio
    Posts
    8,711
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    2462
    Likes (Received)
    5556

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Rick Finsta View Post
    That was my immediate thought as well...
    That looks like a race car wishbone. If it is scrap it and get a welder who knows what he /she is doing, safety critical parts are not for amateurs. In my opinion the "good" side looks like crap also.

  21. #15
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Tustin, CA
    Posts
    235
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    115
    Likes (Received)
    48

    Default

    Way too much undercut and not enough filler.

  22. #16
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Pennsylvania
    Posts
    10,354
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    17406
    Likes (Received)
    5409

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by moonlight machine View Post
    That looks like a race car wishbone. If it is scrap it and get a welder who knows what he /she is doing, safety critical parts are not for amateurs. In my opinion the "good" side looks like crap also.
    And someone that can inspect for a faulty weld as well.....

  23. Likes adama liked this post
  24. #17
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Utah
    Posts
    659
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    1228
    Likes (Received)
    232

    Default

    Root pass!

  25. Likes digger doug, PlasmaOnTheBrain liked this post
  26. #18
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Pennsylvania
    Posts
    10,354
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    17406
    Likes (Received)
    5409

    Default

    Blind leading the blind.....Pretty sad state of affairs of our
    educational system these days.

  27. #19
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    uk
    Posts
    12,618
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    3563
    Likes (Received)
    5682

    Default

    Yet anouther classic example of why people bring me stuff to weld!!! I may not be coded, the weld may or may not need x raying, but suck me that should look so damn beutiful, a nice lap weld joint like that is about as easy as it gets.

  28. #20
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    marysville ohio
    Posts
    8,711
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    2462
    Likes (Received)
    5556

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by adama View Post
    Yet anouther classic example of why people bring me stuff to weld!!! I may not be coded, the weld may or may not need x raying, but suck me that should look so damn beutiful, a nice lap weld joint like that is about as easy as it gets.
    As bad as that is I can't imagine posting it for all the world to see. Looks like he has about 2 hours experience with TIG, maybe less than that!

  29. Likes digger doug liked this post

Tags for this Thread

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •