weird sinking weld beads - Page 2
Close
Login to Your Account
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Posts like this make me feel like I'm not getting paid enough...

2. Likes adama, digger doug liked this post
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Michigan
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

The Welder is a college student, most of the time his welds are really good, but on this piece he was struggling and we changed up a lot of the settings and things and the welds still look awful.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by psandherr View Post
    The Welder is a college student, most of the time his welds are really good, but on this piece he was struggling and we changed up a lot of the settings and things and the welds still look awful.
    Are you part of an FSAE team? It's a great experience, I helped one out as an instructor.

I'm no welding expert, but I agree with those who say that part shouldn't be used in any critical (on the car) situation. But you could scavenge it for additional welding testing, after confirming you've got the expected metal (4130?), and gas flow, amps, filler rod, and even gas mix.

If your welder has made good welds before, it's probably just one or two things he's overlooked, and with a little testing he should be able to get a good set of parameters for doing the replacement part. Keep a record of what worked, it'll be useful for the next members of the team.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

He needs to be far more comfortable with the part than he was...
    He needs vises, a table, a chair, something, Some way to get more comfortable or hold the part in a more comfortable location... The settings are OK, he just needs to be more comfortable with what he has.
    Tig Finger(R) – Weldmonger Store (USA)
    Get him one or 2 of these things. I have welded on the end of long round things with my hand torch hand resting 1/2" away from the weld with the arc pointed back at me. Comfortably. On thin stainless and thick aluminium.
    Get some new tube, give him that back and tell him to take it apart and practice on it some more.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

“College” that explains it!

7. Likes digger doug liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Lanso View Post
    “College” that explains it!
    Ummm - some of the students on the FSAE team I worked with were very good welders. Neat, clean stacks of dimes on moly and Al parts, better than I can do. Good machinists too. These were team leaders, guys who'd spent 3-4 years of their undergrad studies on the team, while carrying pretty good classloads too, at a school renowned for its rigor.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by PlasmaOnTheBrain View Post
    He needs vises, a table, a chair, something, Some way to get more comfortable or hold the part in a more comfortable location... The settings are OK, he just needs to be more comfortable with what he has.
    Get him one or 2 of these things. I have welded on the end of long round things with my hand torch hand resting 1/2" away from the weld with the arc pointed back at me. Comfortably. On thin stainless and thick aluminium.
    Get some new tube, give him that back and tell him to take it apart and practice on it some more.

funny how that works
    those tig fingers do make life easier

10. Likes PlasmaOnTheBrain liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

probably didn't get a puddle fast enough then was playing catch up adding too much heat

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

^ Whats he using as a screen? Thats got all the hallmarks of welding blind, because if he could see the puddle it would not be like that as he would follow the edges better and add more filler as its needed. 1Amp per though of thickness, A number 5-6 ceramic, 1.6mm filler and about 8 ish CFH of pure argon and this is as simple as it gets.

Youtube, Welding tricks and tips, make him watch the video's and you will find out what is wrong.

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Wisconsin
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

adama, Jody is The Man! Fantastic teacher and not afraid to show the world when he doffs an electrode.

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Pennsylvania
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Milland View Post
    Ummm - some of the students on the FSAE team I worked with were very good welders. Neat, clean stacks of dimes on moly and Al parts, better than I can do. Good machinists too. These were team leaders, guys who'd spent 3-4 years of their undergrad studies on the team, while carrying pretty good classloads too, at a school renowned for its rigor.
    Nothing beats a classic night school vocational weld school for "on arc time"
    3 hour classes, 3 nights a week, burning rod.

Pratice makes perfect, and it's obvious he's not getting any good advice from
    the instructors*.

*Instructors are teachers that have many hours under their belt and can quickly
    diagnose the problem, and show the student the right way.

Not a fully tenured 'Fessor, that "Plays around with the settings".

15. Likes Lanso, Kiwi2wheels liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

OPs pic content is not called a bead. "Bead" is convex or dome shape. Pic is of a valley.

17. Likes adama liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by digger doug View Post
    Nothing beats a classic night school vocational weld school for "on arc time"
    3 hour classes, 3 nights a week, burning rod.

Pratice makes perfect, and it's obvious he's not getting any good advice from
    the instructors*.

*Instructors are teachers that have many hours under their belt and can quickly
    diagnose the problem, and show the student the right way.

Not a fully tenured 'Fessor, that "Plays around with the settings".
    The above is so true!

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Michigan
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

After doing some more research i think i have identified some of the problems that were occurring.

The tubes were heated with an oxygen acetylene torch and could have oxidized the inside.

The tubes are sealed on both ends and the expanding air on the inside has nowhere to go.

The welder is a senior his welds NEVER look like this we have done 4130 steel and ultra thin aluminum for years and he lays down nice beads. Something else is going wrong here.

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Michigan
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by PlasmaOnTheBrain View Post
    Have them, We have a really nice weld area with all the tools brand new masks all sorts of tungsten sizes, gas lenses,and accessories.

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Michigan
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by kazlx View Post
    Except that's not stick, so it doesn't really matter. I weld in skate shoes and shorts all the time.
    I wasn't welding in those shoes!! i have burned a sock or two before though!!

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

After doing some more research i think i have identified some of the problems that were occurring.

The tubes were heated with an oxygen acetylene torch and could have oxidized the inside.

The tubes are sealed on both ends and the expanding air on the inside has nowhere to go.

The welder is a senior his welds NEVER look like this we have done 4130 steel and ultra thin aluminum for years and he lays down nice beads. Something else is going wrong here.
    Yeah, sealed tubes can do that, usually for me they do the opposite and blow out, right about at the end of the bead. Need to drill a relief hole in the tube where the finish weld will cover it.