What's new
What's new

Weld Strength – Continuous Burn vs. Short Bursts

Perk

Cast Iron
If I pin and chamfer two pieces of a shaft that I want to join do I get adequate weld strength by using short bursts (perhaps one second) from a wire feed while rotating the shaft from one side to the other to minimize distortion. This method certainly keeps things straight but I’m not sure if the sort durations are giving me adequate strength.

adequate weld strength
Good question since you have given no clue on load or duty.

Maker of course thought the solid shaft was adequate.

That would mean full penetration weld, right?

Was shaft heat treated? Carbon content?

Not much info to work with here.

John

The job that spurred the question was actually a screw for a vice, not a shaft, just wanted to keep things simple for the sake of discussion. In this case I cut the bad threads off of a vice screw and welded on new piece of pre-machined 7/8 Acme threaded stock.

But in general, what is the relationship between weld strength and weld duration?

can you 'fish mouth' the ends of the shaft to get more weld area? this will also help take the stresses better than straight butting them together

fishnouth- ::::< <::::
butting them together- ::::I I::::

I gotta agree that a series of tacks is not as strong as a proper weld, if distortion is a concern can you access pulsed mig or tig? Also see if you can find how they weld pipeline, lot smaller piece but principles can give you some good ideas. proper tacking before full weld can also help control distortion as will weld sequence.

"But in general, what is the relationship between weld strength and weld duration?"

Assuming the wire feed size/speed and voltage are set correctly for the thickness of metal being welded, a short burst does not allow enough time for the weld pool to fully develop and achieve full penetration.

I would guess a continuous weld would "burn" deeper into the stock than a short burst. Anyways I would replace the whole scew, alittle machining and no worries about distortion and strength.

Jan
Norway

Back